Thread: Going to your local dealer then ordering long distance

Threaded View

Default Going to your local dealer then ordering long distance

I wanted to take a little time and address an issue that is coming to the forefront in the furniture industry. The whole internet thing has really set the industry on its ear, where today its so easy to go into a brick and mortar store to shop styles and samples, then seek lower prices from around the country and have furniture shipped in. This creates problems that may lead to a change in policies that will effectively cut out all internet/mail orders by preventing dealers from drop shipping orders. If all orders have to go to a dealer's store first, then freight costs to long distance customers will double or even triple.

It's generally thought that internet/mail order dealers cannibalize sales from local brick and mortar stores and to a large degree that's true. I do a substantial amount of long distance sales, but I prefer to EARN them by advice, knowledge and service. For the record, I will never suggest a customer go into a local store to shop, use their samples and then call my store with an order. That is unethical and I would never ask my customers do that. I will always be glad to provide samples free of charge to those that request them.

If you decide to order long distance instead of buying locally, please keep the following in mind:

1) You are the customer of the selling dealer, and all issues or problems need be addressed through the selling dealer. Not the manufacturer.

2) Shipping damages are likely to result from using less expensive delivery companies. "You get what you pay for" applies to that kind of service as well. The top delivery companies (which will be the most expensive) will also be the least likely to damage your new pieces. And if you get damages, its between you and the selling dealer in conjunction with the shipper, not the manufacturer.

3) When you go into your local store and ask them to meet the lower price from an internet/mail order seller, that inflames the situation and angry phone calls result. Don't do that.

Now, if you are like most people you will read the above and say "Its my money, I'll do what I want and call whom I want to call". I understand that. However, I also understand that when consumers decide to write their own rules and make angry calls to the manufacturers, its very much noted and the end result is that many of these name brand companies are looking to shut down all internet and mail order sales because of it. That applies equally to dealers calling in angry because another dealer across the country is beating their prices.

How do they intend solve the problem? By shipping only to the brick and mortar store and eliminate all drop ships. I have reason to believe this is being actively discussed among several large companies. If these new policies go into force, then the consumer will lose out in the end, as you will have far fewer choices from who to buy from. Double or triple the freight charges will negate any savings you might have realized.

So this post is basically a public service post! if you place a value on having choices, read the (3) points above and act accordingly. Remember that YOU are the customer of the dealer you chose to buy from. The dealer is the customer of the manufacturer.

It concerns me greatly that we are about to see changes come in these regards and that will hugely effect the current business model. While I am not so naive as to think that making this post will change things, perhaps if enough people read it and actually heed it - some of the heat and pressure manufacturers are getting may subside in acting on shutting down internet and mail order sales of their product.
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-11-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.