Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to your local dealer then ordering long distance

NicholesAmmons Guest

Default Re: Going to your local dealer then ordering long distance

Though it is very true that the local brick and mortar stores have to keep the money flowing to stay, the average you and me have little to concern about how they'll survive. The reason is so obvious sir- survival instinct. Why would I pay more to keep them running, and that too when I know there are alternatives. We wish to have the best at the cheapest- understandable, everyone wants this. Now, complement this with the extra toppings of having the stuff delivered at your doorsteps with trivial charges and the neighboring stores are already in the if-nothing-works-then-maybe options.

But yeah, the first point that you mentioned was legitimate. It'd be wrong to check the stuff in the local market for its authenticity and then trying to seek the same at lower prices from around the country. Good points, Like it!
    Nicholes(Austin Furniture Repair)

I am going to tell a little story....

Back in the 80's and early 90's, wallpaper for the home was a hot category. I used to have a wallpaper section in my store, and had to pay the wallpaper companies $ 50 to $ 75 for each sample book (in 1985-90 dollars), as did every dealer. Imperial Wallcoverings was the 800lb gorilla of the wallpaper industry, they had the bulk of the category. This was the pre-internet era, when 1-800 ads were in the magazines. The ads said 'We discount, get us the pattern number and name of the wallpaper and save big'. You could pick up any home decor magazine of the day and there were half a dozen of these operations running ads. Imperial compounded the problem by offering volume discounts to its dealers, so the 1-800 guys got a steeper discount that I did in my little speciality store. People would come in and check out the books all the time and I never got many orders. I had about (50) books, probably $ 3K tied up in them. People would also cut the sheets out of them they liked as well instead of asking for samples. After a year or so the books would be shabby, and need replacement. When the sales reps for the wallpaper companies came in and wanted to re-order the books or replace them with newer ones, I would say "no", the 1-800 guys has stolen the business. The reps would say "You need to code your books". I'd say "Who has time for that? Make like 2,000 codes and labels? Why don't you guys kill the 1-800 accounts who steal all the business from stores buying your sample books?" They said they can't...the 1-800 business was too large. So I stopped buying books altogether - so did every other store and dealer. What did that do in the pre-internet era? Well, it took all the samples out - everywhere across the country. Now the 1-800 guys have no where for their customers to go see the wallpaper. The wallpaper business started tanking big time. One day I decided I could use the floor space for something that was actually profitable and threw all the books out, along with the stand and desk I had made for them. People would come into ask for the books to check out and I would say we no longer carry them. This happened at every dealer as well. Imperial Wall Coverings went bankrupt in 2003, killed off by not having brick and mortar stores to show their product.

Now in the internet age, you can see pictures of things. Who is a dealer now? Many of these website presences have no showroom, they operate out of their home and contract their furniture builds to whomever they can get to private label them (Casco Bay is one of those, do a search here to see the fallout on that one). And for that matter, without brick and mortar dealerships mean a maker may was as well sell direct. However, I still think people want to see, touch and try out the frames, at least get a representation of them, and you are only going to do that at a B&M location. Plus, your B&M dealer can go over your plans with you and actually help guide you in what to select. A customer service agent at the end of the phone who is just out of college, probably not so much.

It costs a lot of money to run a store. I just wrote a check today to the County of Fairfax for $ 1,890 for the privilege of operating a business in the County and now have to go get my Isuzu delivery truck which just got a new diesel fuel tank to the tune of $ 2,634. There is a very real cost to a B&M operation and I respect that - so I will never encourage someone to go in and use their facilities then order from my store or any other discounter, it's unethical and disrespectful. Having said that I realize we all want to save a buck when we can - I do as well. I think you have to balance the cost of buying locally and supporting your area businesses (yes, they DO help pay for your schools and infrastructure in your community) vs distance buying. If you are going to be a distance buyer, at the very least don't tie up some salesperson for half a day when you have no intention of buying from them. Respect their time and that they have to make a living as well.

Ultimately, it depends on the dollar spread obviously and whom you want to trust with your order.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-11-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I had the same experience with wallpaper (also window coverings) when I was in business, thousands of dollars spent on samples. Towards the end it was almost funny to see the wallpaper reps pleading for us to take books which were now free. They knew their greed had practically killed the industry.

When I shop both a B&M store and online for a major purchase I always give the B&M store the opportunity to compete. I explain that I can get the same item delivered for approximately $X (never exact price) and ask if they can get into that range. If they will they get the sale even though it is usually costs me a bit more. However some stores want it all. Our local (2 hour round trip, only 3 H&M samples on the floor) dealer didn't budge at all when given the opportunity. I didn't think buying local was worth roughly 40% more than buying online from a showroom in another geographic area.

CAmom Guest

I have always been a supporter of B & M and preferably small business owners - both my family and my husband's family have had businesses in the past. I believe that when you shop locally, you not only keep the money in your community, but you are investing in your community.

My adventure in furniture shopping started about three months ago. First, looking online at styles. Then trying to educate myself on furniture builds, leathers versus fabrics, and warranties, et cetera. My frustration was quickly realized when I went to a B & M and was met with the lack of customer service and knowledge about the products they sell. While the salesperson answered my questions, he was giving me misinformation:
    1. B-Y has a two-year warranty. Buy a furniture protection plan.
    2. Finished leathers won't be damaged by the sun.
    3. Asked if I could order the back cushions with more firm cushioning - nope, can't do that. However, the store would send someone out in 30 days to add more cushioning if I need it.
    4. Never offered to order leather samples for me to view samples in my home environment.
    5. Told me the leather I had chosen was from Italy. Don't know if that is true or not, but I highly doubt it.

They were not very busy, and I just remember thinking, "You are willing to give me your cell number because you don't want to lose this sale. However, you won't do your research on the furniture you are selling." It was very disappointing.

I went home, did some research, and went back 4 - 6 weeks later. Met with the same salesperson, who was very excited to see me again. Still didn't do his research. That store will not get my business. Frankly, they don't deserve it. I would have been happy to pay a little more for the customer service and B & M store in the community. The lack of knowledge and lack of desire to educate himself took his sale away. Part of me wants to write a letter to the store's owner just to convey my experience. The problem can easily be fixed - education and willingness to stay current.

I found a store out of the area that has an educated salesperson, was able to answer all my questions, wasn't pushy, and I ended up feeling very, very comfortable doing business with that person. Hopefully, furniture vendors will realize education, knowledge, quality furniture are actually leveling out the playing field. I will choose those qualities over cheaper prices any day of the week.

I try to support B&M stores in the area especially for large items but I run into these things more often that i'd like
    1) Business Hours are pretty much the same as my work schedule with no flexibility. I don't think it's too much to ask they open for a bit on the weekend or have at least one weekday with extended hours.
    2) Staff isn't knowledgeable and customer service doesn't seem to be a priority.
    3) Price is 30-50% more than an out of town store and/or internet business pricing. I ask the B&M stores if that's their best price and what they would do if I find a better deal but usually they say that is their best price and they stand firm. I usually don't even bother going back if it's a 30% or higher difference in price regardless of what they say they can do.

When I find a store with good hours, customer service, and pricing I will gladly give them my business and recommend them to others.

Today I had a phone call from a person who called me to see if the Leather Solutions Maintenance Kit would remove scratches from his Hancock & Moore Your Way Sectional. I asked which leather he had on the unit, then explained that he ordered it in a finished (painted) leather and that like anything that is painted, when you scratch through it - only a recoat of the paint will fix it. A cleaning and conditioning kit is not going to solve that problem. Apparently his dog is scratching the sofa cushions and the solution there is to train your pets to stay off the upholstery (I know it can be done because I have done it!).

He went on to complain about what a lousy buying experience he had and how the unit arrived incorrectly, took very long to get (8 months), and wasn't ordered to his specs. How he will never order from Hancock and Moore again because of the issues, and the dealer was arguing with him about it and the like.

As best I could I explained that the furniture manufactuers like Hancock and Moore don't have control over an independent dealer. Sure, if there are enough complaints about a dealer they will eventually pull their dealership, but otherwise the consumer had to deal with that selling dealer and not expect satisfaction from the manufacturer if they decide to call direct. He asked me if I wanted to know the lousy dealer's name so I could spread it around to tell people to stay away from them and I replied I did not want to know (he told me anyways). The phone call went past 12 minutes and I had another call to take so I had to end the call, which was mostly complaining about that dealer.

The irony is he lives 8 miles from my store, but instead went to a dealer in North Carolina because they were less in price overall (I would have had to charge him 6% VA sales tax for one, no way around that for Virginia residents). I think it's important to know whom you are dealing with and if they are going to work on your behalf or work against you. This particular dealer is well-known for slam-dunking their customers and being combative if there are issues. Sometimes the lowest possible price for a given purchase isn't the best deal and can be a miserable experience. Better dealers will work hard on your behalf to make things right when it happens (and from time to time things DO happen). If you shop on price alone, you will find out that not all dealers are alike.
    Duane Collie

The problem is where I live in a small city, we don’t have many furniture stores, period. And the ones we DO have all sell lower end furniture made in China or Vietnam. AND they charge as much or MORE for it than high end brands. Unfortunately, you won’t find those brands in these stores. I can’t even find any to go and sit on. So, that’s when I discovered the top of the line brands and how they mostly seem to be sold out of places like the Carolinas and Texas. Hey, if local stores carried these better brands, I’d be more than willing to shop here.

Stores will carry what their customers will buy. Here's a typical scenario I see three to four times a week in my store, which is 95% better brands and USA-made.

customer: "Wow, this is really nice, I love that you carry USA-made product and you have beautiful stuff."

.... 10 minutes later .....

"I don't have the budget for a $ 5K to $ 6K leather sofa, what do you have for $ 2K?"

me: "Nothing, sorry. That will be an import made in China / Vietnam / India / Philippines with a short lifespan and not what we carry"

customer: "Why can't I get a USA-made piece in that price range?"

me: "Because no one on this country will work for $ 3 an hour, and pieces are built to a higher standard"

customer: "I can't afford that - I have to get an import"

And that's why they don't stock the better brands. If there was a demand for them at the prices they would have to charge, they would do so. That also requires knowledge of the product, however. A store putting a high end product in a showroom without an educated sales force means that piece will just collect dust. You have to be able to explain what makes those better pieces.....better!

That requires trips to the factories to see how they build product, which is why Sarah (my daughter) made her first one a few weeks ago. Unless you see how they are made, you can't explain to the customer. Too many stores as well only care about price points, because customers demand price points. They are not willing to take the time to learn their product, the differences, and explain that to people. If they can make a living paying $ 1,000 for a Chinese sofa and selling it for $ 1,999 at the price point the people walking in the door want to see, their business survives. They don't really care too much if it only lasts three years - it gives them an opportunity to sell you another sofa then. One of the issues with selling premium furniture is it DOES last, which means we won't see you again for a replacement sofa for twenty years, not three!
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-30-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    Duane Collie

I am in Texas and the dealers here are double price compared to the dealers in Carolina’s or other states.

I recently went to a B&M store. We were not at all sure what we wanted to do at that time. I had not even been on the forum in a long time. When we went into the store we were not sure what we wanted, but once my husband saw H&M he didn't want to look at anything else.We had very good service, but were not given any pricing as we had not picked anything out other than a chair. when I went back to the store a few days later I did ask for pricing and it was about as I expected. It was was a bit steep, although I did expect that. Then when I asked about the T&C program I got quizzed about already knowing of it. "Did you look at another store? You didn't seem to be at all surprised about the prices I quoted you. How did you know about the T&C program and that this sofa was included?" It left me feeling rather uncomfortable so I left and came to check pricing out with Duane. It was just an uncomfortable situation. I'm sure the designer didn't mean to attack me, but it sure sounded like it to me. I would have liked to work what them at the least on a cocktail table and end tables, but now I don't think that's going to happen either. It's just too bad. She didn't recommend any particular sofa but I found the one we like on the forum so she really didn't do that much for us anyways.
    Last edited by Judyg951; 09-07-2023 at 09:34 PM.