Thread: Odd Delivery

Default Odd Delivery

I took an order this past fall from a decorator on (4) Jessica Charles chairs to go downtown to a law firm and we were to deliver. The four chairs came in today, and they wanted them right away so we set up to take them within the hour. Pretty good service, yes?

However, the building that they were going into had strict delivery requirements, including insurance policies in amounts more than I have on my business insurance (and proof thereof) along with copies of Worksman's Comp policies or we could not set foot inside the building or use the loading dock.

HA! Needless to say, I am not buying new insurance in order to make a delivery - I thought it ridiculous. At that point there were two options: 1) I'll deliver them onto the sidewalk or 2) They can send someone to my store and come get them. We settled on a sidewalk drop and they had to take them up into the building themselves. I think that's just nuts to require limits of many millions of dollars. Who writes and dreams this stuff up? LAWYERS? Some days I wonder what the country is coming to......

Here's what we delivered x 4:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JC1.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	4223

Here is their insurance requirements.

COI 2-c.pdf
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-10-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Default Re: Odd Delivery

My husband's car died (transmission issues) in the company parking garage and our (already paid for by our insurance) tow-truck couldn't even come in to get it. The property owner has all sorts of fine print in the lease, apparently. It was a big mess, all for legal reasons, and WE had to pay the "approved towing company" to get it out of there. Not impressed.

Those are some interesting chairs!

Default Re: Odd Delivery

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I think that's just nuts to require limits of many millions of dollars. Who writes and dreams this stuff up? LAWYERS?
    Sometimes it's lawyers, but sometimes when you look at the nuttier rules you find that it was somebody who read an urban myth or made a whole bunch of wild assumptions and came up with a rule that, had they asked, their lawyer would have told them was "nuts". Some of the funnier warning labels that people like to blame on the lawyers often come from foreign nations where they depend upon some combination of broken English, borrowing the language from a disclaimer attached to a different product, and wild assumptions in order to come up with things like... warning you not to brush your teeth with a toilet brush.

What do you think created more risk of a claim against the building - having professional movers bring the furniture inside, or having a bunch of lawyers and office staff members carry the furniture? I know which approach created more risk for the law firm.

I just read the requirements... Assuming that's a long "e" at the end, perhaps they just want to cover their Hines.