Thread: Just starting my leather sofa search

emsmith Guest

Default Just starting my leather sofa search

I am just starting a search for leather sofas for our playroom. I currently own a H&M Evening sofa for my family room and I am in love. 8 yrs. later and it still looks perfect plus I have had great customer service from H&M. My ultra down back cushions are really sagging and they are replacing the inner cushions. I was shocked they would do this after 8 yrs.

I am tempted to purchase another Evening sofa plus loveseat but I thought I would ask you first your leather suggestions for a room that will get a lot of use. This room is used by kids so I need a very durable grade leather. We also have a dog which isn't allowed on the furniture but sometimes it happens. If I went with another Evening Sofa which leather grade would you recommend? I know that all leather will scratch etc but what would be the best option?

Thank You!
    Emily

Default Re: Just starting my leather sofa search

Hi Emily,

Cushions can and do fatigue with use and age, but as you have discovered the benefit of owning a Hancock & Moore piece is they will replace those for you at any time upon request at no charge, you don't even have to pay the shipping. Being that the zip in and out, its an easy swap and you just toss the old ones in the trash.

There are so many leathers to choose from, where does one start? Budget? Color? Texture? One of my favorites for tough duty that still looks classy is the Equestrian Series (Italian). Its thicker cut, has a slight pebbly texture, is a pure aniline but with a topcoat that gives it more resistance to spills than most. Price grade 3.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

fdmason Guest

You might be the best person to answer your own question. How has your current sofa held up and what type of leather do you have on it? Will the new pieces get significantly more use?

I'm pretty sure that Duane's primer on leather recommends a protected leather for very heavy use such as with kids or pets, but some kids and pets are pretty tame so it might not be as big of an issue. I personally would go for something in a darker color for things like footprints and messy hands.

emsmith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Hi Emily,

Cushions can and do fatigue with use and age, but as you have discovered the benefit of owning a Hancock & Moore piece is they will replace those for you at any time upon request at no charge, you don't even have to pay the shipping. Being that the zip in and out, its an easy swap and you just toss the old ones in the trash.

There are so many leathers to choose from, where does one start? Budget? Color? Texture? One of my favorites for tough duty that still looks classy is the Equestrian Series (Italian). Its thicker cut, has a slight pebbly texture, is a pure aniline but with a topcoat that gives it more resistance to spills than most. Price grade 3.
    Thanks for such a quick response! My current evening sofa is in Savannah Nutmeg. It has been so long since I purchased it that I don't remember the grade. The tag says CL 2. It has held up well and honestly I would love to move it upstairs to the playroom but I don't have the matching love seat. I paid 4k for it in 2005. I know prices have gone up since then and I haven't shopped yet to find out what they are currently going for. Ideally I would like a sofa and love seat for under 8k. I was looking at the leather online and didn't know where to begin.

Is CL 2 the grade? If so, I have been pleased and love the texture of it.

Looking in the brown tones.

Correct. Savannah is still in the line and price grade 2. We can make your $ 8K target price with L/S and Sofa (Evening) in that leather, or get real close to it.

Best way to start is to pick 10 to 12 leathers from the H&M website, email or PM them to me with your address, and I'll order free samples for you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.