Thread: Is this purchase a mistake?

jjk_reef00 Guest

Default Is this purchase a mistake?

jjk_reef00 Guest

Default Re: Is this purchase a mistake?

My first post and I'm hoping you guys could give me some advice.
    I'm in need of a new sofa and loveseat set but was going to rough it for a while until I found something I really liked.
    I live in Tucson AZ and went to 3 or so low end furniture stores about 6 months ago and hated almost everything.
    Some relatives told me to look at Macys and Carsons, but to my knowledge neither company has furniture retailers in Tucson.
    I got a email for a Macy sale, plus 10% off, and 2 year financing option.
    So I was browsing and really like the looks of the Lauren Ralph Lauren Leather Sofa, Stanmore:
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/l...9391&RVI=PDP_3
    I was thinking the Sofa, love seat and Cocktail Ottoman, and I could drive up to Phoenix 1.5 hours away to look at them.
    So before rushing a purchase I thought I would try to research, and unfortunately there are not a great deal of reviews.

Then I stumble onto this site and I'm reading about H&M and other high end couches. Now I'm not sure about buying the Macys furniture. I cannot find prices but I'm guessing H&M pieces in the same style will cost about 2x as much. Is that an accurate guess?

The furniture will be in my living room for laying and watching TV. I want leather and I like the style of the Macys furniture.
    I'm looking for any feedback or opinions.
    TIA

Welcome to the forum, we're friendly here!

I have to speak in generalities and I have no hands-on experience with that label, but from what I see that is mediocre at best. Looking at the construction details (which are limited on the site) it says "Top Grain Leather with Splits". The 'Splits' are the bottom half a hide when its cut in two - or split. The top portion become "top grain leather' and the bottom becomes 'the splits'. Generally you don't use splits in leather furniture for a couple of reasons:

1) it lacks cellulose fiber strength and can wear / tear /stretch much easier

2) it has no grain pattern and doesn't finish well.

So, your better makers will not use them on their pieces. Splits are suitable for making suede and cheap, painted tennis shoes. Macy's will only be are using top grain on the seating surfaces and the splits on the sides, back and the kick panel. Its a way to cut costs as splits are cheap. Don't be taken in by the 'Ralph Lauren' moniker, it has no cred in furniture making world and is really just a marketing tool.

Spring construction they say is no-sag sinuous, which is not as good as 8-way hand-tied. Its basic suspension and can be adequate or even poor, depending on how its set in the frame. I can almost guarantee you the frame is plywood as well. I didn't see a country of manufacture on the link, but most likely this is Chinese-made.

Macy's is never known for selling good furniture. Rather they are known for selling cheapish product at inflated prices in that department. While you might not get a bad piece if you buy them, I'm pretty sure you won't be buying a good piece. Of course, the true test is how does it perform in 5 years? 10? Everything is good when its new, the trick in this industry is to still have that same 'as new' performance as time and use add up on it. Only a few makers can give you that and they will cost more to buy initially.

Good luck in your search!
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jjk_reef00 Guest

Thanks for the info Duane. I think I'll hold off for now and save my money for something of higher quality.

It appears that Lauren Ralph Lauren furniture and case goods are manufactured by Schnadig International Corporation. I can't find anything about the manufacture on either the Schnadig or Lauren websites. In my experience, when a manufacturer makes no mention of how they go the extra mile in construction, they probably don't (which isn't to say that all of those who do are being honest in their claims).

bubbaonline Guest

Macy's had decent furniture (or, at least, Lazarus did) in the mid-'90s.. But, they've removed all of the upscale furniture from their stores... It's all mass-market crap, now...

fdmason Guest

For the most part I agree it's not the best quality out there but I would think they lean more in the mid range category then total crap. I'm waiting on my new H&M sofa but Ive had a Macy's sofa for the last 6 years or so....frame is holding up well, the back cushions, not so much. It was made by Max Home in the US...I'm sure they're not high on the quality ladder, but at least it was american made. If things have changed since, then that's a different story. If you ever doubt the manufacturing of a sofa, flip up the middle cushion. A lot of information is on that tag everyone's afraid to take off!