Thread: Should i call the company?

temart Guest

Default Should i call the company?

I bought a dinning set from Drexel Heritage weeks ago and they were delivered last week. The day after delivery, my wife spotted a crack on one chair. The chair wasn't moved or dropped or even sat on. I called the sales lady. She told me if I did not pointed out the damage at time of delivery they could do nothing about it. In situations like this, should i contact the company, or efforts like this will be meaningless. thanks

hglaber Guest

Default Re: should i call the company?

Unfortunately, like some health insurance companies, many retail establishments just say "No" at first because I suspect it successfully makes 50% to 80% of the issues go away. I'd call back, or even head down to the store, and very politely ask to speak to a manager (NOT a sales person unless she is a manager or the owner). Explain the problem; take good pictures if you can. Make sure you know what you want going in. I know that sounds silly, but you would be surprised at how many dissatisfied customers can't answer the question "What can I do to resolve this?"

A crack in the leg of a chair (at a joint or seat) is caused by one of two things: 1) Stress on the wood when handling or moving 2) Wood movement against the joint which can be a result of the lumber not being properly dried in the kiln, or the joint itself not allowing for expansion coming from the environment of the delivery truck into your home (Humid to Dry, etc). In either case, a new chair should not have that and at my store that's a no-question's-asked replacement.

If the crack is on the leg where it contacts the floor, that can be the result of the chair leg catching on a tile, etc....if that's the case, then you can squirt a little glue in the crack with a syringe, clamp it (important), let it dry 12 hours and it will be as good as new.

A good selling dealer will never leave you 'swinging in the wind' with a dismissive answer like that. They can ALWAYS do something about it if they so choose. I certainly do for my customers. Bypass the sales droid and go to the store manager or even the owner. Send them good, clear and focused digital photos (not cell phone photos) once you get their email addy. If they care about their business, they will address the issue. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

temart Guest

Thank you guys for the advices. I bought from my local Drexel store. The crack is on the back of the chair, so it does not hurt much in terms of sitting. Only thing is i did not pay for a chair with defect.
    I took a picture and sent to the sales lady. I will wait and see how they handle it. If they snub me, i will pay a visit this weekend.