Thread: H&M Cushion Question

juraszek park Guest

Smile H&M Cushion Question

I have a few questions. First of all, are the seat cushions on the H&M sofas leather on both sides? That is, would we be able to flip the cushions? Most "leather" sofas only have leather on one side, then muslin on the other, so no flipping.

Also, I'm trying to locate a H&M Bovey Apartment sofa to sit in and "test drive" before placing an order. No one can assist me in locating one. I called H&M a month ago and they told me I was on my own to just call around to furniture stores to try and locate one. That didn't give me a really good feeling about H&M, but maybe one of their reps was just having a bad day. Any suggestions?

One last question: Can I order leather swatches through you / The Keeping Room prior to ordering this item?

Many Thanks!

Lisa Juraszek

Default Re: H&M Cushion Question

No leather maker has the hides on both sides, because leather is airtight and it would burst the seams when you sit on the cushions. Fabric cushions are porous, so the air escapes through the weave - but there is no where for it to go on a leather cushion so the bottom is made of what we call a 'vent panel' in the trade. That allows the air to escape. As leather is 4x more durable than fabric, you really don't need the flip capability anyways. Having said that, I have made (3) sofas with full leather cushions and custom metal round vents in the side panels. Two problems with that: 1) Costly to do so. 3) The double sided leather cushions slide like a ride at Disney World.

We're a primitive industry, we have no database of what dealer has what piece. The H&M rep wasn't being rude, that's just the way it is. Sorry. You can always go to the factory in Hickory NC when one is coming off the line and see it in conjunction with a tour, but that may not be something you want to invest the time and miles to do.

Yes, I'm more than happy to get you up to a dozen samples at no charge, just PM me with a list I can cut and paste, and don't forget your address!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.