Thread: Bradington-Young vs Flexsteel and why

madeintheusaonly Guest

Default Bradington-Young vs Flexsteel and why

Hi,
    This is the first time I have ever written a post in any kind of forum (I usually just read), but I am tired of piecing together research. From what I gather on most furniture forums, BY is the way to go instead of Flexsteel...but the answer is always "the quality is better." Why is the quality better? I am comparing the BY Reid (their married/promo version...not sure what the leather characteristics are on this) and the Flexsteel Chicago (top-grain, semi-aniline leather) dual reclining sofas...both are made in the USA. I can get either around $2300-2400 (not including tax, shipping, etc). What is specifically better and why regarding leather, frame construction, cushion grade, reclining mechanisms, etc.? I am looking for the best value, not necessarily the cheapest price. I need tough furniture that will last 20+ years. And, if anyone has any other suggestions on another make/model, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for the info and keeping one less gray hair being added to my head!

Default Re: Bradington-Young vs Flexsteel and why

Being a dealer for Brad Young (BY) and a former dealer for Flexsteel (FS), I can well address the differences. If you are looking same money, the BY is a much better buy.

* BY uses Universal Mech, a USA mechanism that is superior to the Chinese mechanism in the FS
    * BY has far superior tailoring and tolerances in the build (check gaps, etc) than FS
    * FS uses a torsion spring for suspension, BY uses 8-ways (in stationary areas)
    * Leather is not brand specific, depends on the particular hides
    * BY styling is much better IMHO

I gave up my Flexsteel dealership because of # 2, I got tired of delivering sloppily made pieces to customers that didn't line up well, has too many production variances and unacceptable gaps. While 95% of the customers didn't notice it - I sure did, and that goes against my principles. Having said that, You can buy FS and it will last, just don't fall into the cracks!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

madeintheusaonly Guest

Thanks for the info. This is helpful. The FS Chicago uses the Leggett and Platt mechanism, so this is made in China? I agree the BY is much nicer looking. Since we are looking at the BY Reid sofa, only the middle seat is stationary. For some reason in the Charlotte area, I am having difficulty finding a dealer who carries the BY Reid in stock. We sat in a few other BY chairs (not sofas)...not sure if I like the "sinking" feeling. I will keep searching for someone who carries it locally. Thank you for the prompt response and for your website...there's a wealth of information on here!

Its been 5 years since I looked at a Flexsteel piece in detail, they may have gone to L&P since I did. L&P's are produced in both China and Mississippi, and that's a good mechanism.

I have a 912 series on my floor, but am a pretty long drive for you. You can go to the BY factory to check one out, they're in Hickory so that's not an terrible drive from you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.