Thread: Different finishes and dust

Bea Guest

Default Different finishes and dust

This is my first topic post here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but I've noticed for awhile that some pieces of my furniture seem to get a ton of dust while others get hardly any at all, and it has nothing to do with location of the piece so far as I can tell.

It seems that the older, OR the more expensive, the piece, the less dust gets on it. These pieces have a nicer, less "factory" and less glossy finish. I know, I know, this is probably something pretty obvious, but I have often wished I knew the reason.

And I'm wondering if there's anything I can do, short of having half my furniture refinished! Is there some kind of cleaner or wax that might at least help the dust-prone pieces to be less dusty?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bea View Post
    This is my first topic post here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but I've noticed for awhile that some pieces of my furniture seem to get a ton of dust while others get hardly any at all, and it has nothing to do with location of the piece so far as I can tell.

It seems that the older, OR the more expensive, the piece, the less dust gets on it. These pieces have a nicer, less "factory" and less glossy finish. I know, I know, this is probably something pretty obvious, but I have often wished I knew the reason.

And I'm wondering if there's anything I can do, short of having half my furniture refinished! Is there some kind of cleaner or wax that might at least help the dust-prone pieces to be less dusty?

Thanks!
    I'm not entirely sure that a topcoat of apiece has much to do with dust retention, but I can tell you if you want to use a spray or wax, then get one that is NOT silicone-based. While silicone-based sprays/waxes go on quick, last a long time and produce a good shine the silicone penetrates the wood and makes refinishing at a later date very difficult as it causes the new finish to 'fisheye'.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.