Thread: Price Quotes

Default Price Quotes

Just a thought to share...

When you as a customer get an aggressive price quote via the internet or a forum such as this, the very worst thing you can do is to print it off with the name of the store who gave you the quote and walk it into your local dealer asking them to price match/beat it. While you may think you are being consumer-savvy and bringing in proof of a better price, in reality you are giving your local dealer the ammunition he needs to make a phone call to the manufacturer and complain that dealer "xxxxxxx" is selling too cheaply. When a manufacturer gets enough calls about a particular dealer that riles the dealer network as a whole, then that manufacturer may choose to alter the relationship with the aggressive price dealer and ! poof !, there goes your low price source.

So, be smart about it and play your pricing poker hand close to your vest when you price shop. Don't get the other dealers riled up, just gather your information and then decide whom to buy from.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

toli Guest

I agree with Duane, consumers can't expect local retailers to compete with internet retailers most of the time anyway. If your purchase is going to come down to price, be prepared to buy online. I prefer to buy local and went to a retailer for an H&M recliner. When they gave me a price, I told them I was going elsewhere to price compare and asked if they could do any better. He told me no and if I would have showed him an internet price he still could probably not have matched it. I am a salesperson at a local specialty store (mainly composite decking) and have to rely on my experience and service to make a sale. If someone is buying on price alone I simply can't compete and don't even try. The big box stores are the ones that really drive me up the wall because they buy at a higher price and then sell at a less than 10% margin. With all that said, I bought my recliner from Duane and can't wait for it to arrive.

I actually run the same price structure in my store as I do for my internet customers, though my store customers pay 7% more as I have to freight it into my location whereas internet customers pay the freight from the factory. I try to offer a combination of a high level of knowledge with aggressive pricing, and customer support. There may be one or two dealers that might beat me on pricing, but there aren't many. Perhaps the only thing that really rankles me is to spend four or five house working with a customer and we learn all about the options, colors, frames, and they get it all narrowed down to what they want. I diagram the pieces out for their room and WORK for the sale! Then they leave and scour the internet for the rock-bottom,,cheapest price, and come back in and ask me to come off $ 100 and eat the sales tax. Well, guess what...I can't eat the tax, thats 5% when purchased in Virginia and I don't screw around with trying to hide that tax money from the state. I'll give the extra $ 100 off, but I don't know why I do. It makes the customer look cheap and unappreciative - and they get a little mental red strike mark next to their name for future reference. <g>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dr56 Guest

I agree with you, Duane. I feel if a sales person is working with me, I owe them the business. We all want a good deal, no doubt, but you do price very fairly and competititively and are an honest good person it appears and why wouldn't someone want to do business with you? I hope to eventually purchase my chair through you. Yes, I will take a "test drive" in a chair at another store first but not take up a salesperson's time for the sake of it and "lead them on" so to speak. Thanks for all your help and education on the industry.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Nickel and dime

If I as a customer get the product I want with a fair price and outstanding customer service, then I do not think most customers should nickel and time a salesperson. Its just tacky.