Thread: Removing stains

vilago Guest

Default Removing stains

I've seen a lot of posts about preventing stains or how protected vs. unprotected deal with spills.

Just found a stain on my ottoman. Not sure how long it's been there, or what caused it but it has a distinct circular shape that could have only come from someone putting a plate on it. the stain is darker colored than what's around it. I'm wondering, ive seen mentioned that oils can "absorb" and dissipate over time. is this true for all stains and all leather types? Maybe I should just give the stain a name because it will now be a part of it, or will it slowly go away over time?
    Is there any way to remove it without making it worse?

Default Re: Removing stains

First - let time work on it. DO NOT set it with water (huge mistake). Work the leather a bit with your hand when you walk by it - just pressure. It should fade out in 48 hours to 2 weeks on its own. Some take as long as 6 months.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

vilago Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    First - let time work on it. DO NOT set it with water (huge mistake). Work the leather a bit with your hand when you walk by it - just pressure. It should fade out in 48 hours to 2 weeks on its own. Some take as long as 6 months.
    ...crap...

i should have waited for your response because that's exactly what I did. although luckily it seems to have faded over the last couple of days fairly considerably anyway, but is still there. I hope i didn't set it too badly!
    when you say work the leather, do you mean rub it with the palms or just press down on it for a few seconds?

Well, if you set the stain with water-based product, just leave it be. It may work out but might take a year or so. Sometimes they do when set, other times you will always be able to see it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.