Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I'm Baaaack" still in search of sofa

Default "I'm Baaaack" still in search of sofa

I’m back on my leather sofa search after having to take a hiatus from the project. This time I honestly hope I can place an order.

Some background refresher: I originally started a post several months ago (I think it was called "first post ready to pull the trigger") in search of a new leather family room sofa. I am convinced there is no reason to look further than Hancock and Moore. The main criteria for the sofa are to be deep and long (inside measurements). I made several inquiries about customizing the Settlement sofa but ultimately decided that it just sat too high and would not work. So it was back to the drawing board.

In the months between holidays and family birthday obligations, I was able to narrow other possibilities down to the longer 9444 City, Evening, Kodiak and Clivedon sofas. Fortunately, during my hiatus, we were able to sit in the City sofa. While the depth and length was ideal, the height of the sofa fell quite short especially for my tall, lanky sons.

Now I am in a quandary, as the other sofa styles have pros/cons all around. I’ve continued to read forum posts - it appears as a general consensus that they all sit similar. I also know that “customizing” a sofa is “risky” and can get costly but hoping I can get some input. Here are the problem areas:

1. Evening – probably my favorite “style wise.” The inside width and height works but wishing it was deeper. Is there any way to make the inside depth deeper? I realize there is a variance to published measurements but not sure if that applies to measurements all around. I would be happy with about a 2” increase to make it in the 23” range. (not sure if I am being too particular about measurements but our current sofa is quite deep- almost 29” – so when I see a 21.5” depth, I panic as we love deep sofas - even though I realize that a leather sofa will naturally sit differently from our current over-stuffed fabric sofa.) Cost? Also have seen customers make cushions straight across, can I get a cost?

2. Clivedon – the height and depth of this sofa is ideal but the problem lies in the inside width. Any way to make it longer? like around 5"? (This might be too complicated as it would require a change in the entire frame, springs, etc. but gotta ask just in case.) Cost? The cushions on this sofa seem curved also, can they be made straight?

3. Kodiak – is an alternative “as is” if customizing other two sofas is out of the question. It would be a full compromise on measurement components but with only a couple inches variance when comparing to other sofa measurements, it would be acceptable. (Side note: it’s probably my least favorite “style wise” but not out of the question.)

This should get me moving in the right direction. Hoping to be able to mark this project "done" once and for all. And Duane, you appear to be the "Go to Man!" who knows his stuff so will look forward to your reply. Thanks so much.

Default Re: "I'm Baaaack" still in search of sofa

The Kodiak splits the difference nicely between the City and the Settlement pieces. It would probably give you what you want without customization. You want to be VERY careful with doing frame mods because they are costly to do and there are no 'do-overs' on them. For sure you want to try out a standard model before ever ordering one customized.

To 'flatten out' the Evening back isn't too costly. I've done that twice and it was about $ 250 or so. Adding 2" in Depth is going to be worth more like $ 600, however - depends also on leather grade. Lengthening a Clivedon about $ 1,200 or so.

Its fairly involved to get custom quotes, they require some work if they haven't done them before at H&M and several days time to get something back from them...and also a specific leather grade to figure the extra cost of the hides, that's why I use guesstimates here on the forum.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for your input Duane.

Have a few more questions:
    1. In a previous post, you mentioned some "tricks of the trade" H & M can do to increase the overall depth of a sofa by removing batting of cushions. Can this be done on the Evening sofa? Can it be done to both the back and seat cushions? About how much would this change dimensions?

2. I also read a comment about how the sloping of cushions near the arms of the Evening sofa can cause head to roll back when sitting...would this issue be eliminated if the cushions were "flattened out?"

3. Does a couch with seat cushions that wrap around the frame like on the Kodiak make a sofa more roomier as opposed to straight cushions on the Evening? Perhaps this is just a design element that makes no difference.

4. I realize comfort is subjective but wondering about the way Charter, Lynne, Harrison and Highlands sit compared to Kodiak and Evening?

Sorry, I am probably over-thinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to be. On a positive note, we have already fallen in love with Capri Butternut so leather is chosen. Appreciate any input so we can get closer to a sofa decision.

You can cheat the cushion fill a little - about 3/4 of an inch is it, however. Keep in mind that H&M has a +/- 2" tolerance in the build to factory specs so at the end of the day the answer is 'not much'.

September series runs you down the slop by nature of the design of the back, the EVening - not so much.

We call that a 'T-Cushion' when it extends out and wraps around the arm. Gives you more seating area and legroom at the expensive of design style.

I don't really do comfort comparisons - because everyone likes it different and its not really fair to you for me to bias you to a model in terms of 'comfort'. What I like and you like can be very, very different. Having said that, I think you would find all those you mention sit within 15 % of one another overall.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

This past week we were able to test out a few sofa styles, which enabled us to eliminate some choices from our list. Although at the same time, it added a few choices we hadn’t considered. Hoping to get thoughts on the following:

1. We liked the way West End sat – both inside depth and width was great - but was not crazy about the arm length – seemed short and may be troublesome if wanted to lay down and nap. Looked through sofa options again and came across the 5342 Lacross Sofa which seemed to have very similar frame dimensions. Wondering if the Lacross sits similar to West End? Is the pitch about the same? Do the back pillows come to the same height on the frame as the West End or is it much lower? Is it possible to get the sofa “un-tufted?” Has this been done before? Would there be a cost difference? (I know it’s a shame to request but it’s not the look we are going for.) Finally, can the legs on the sofa be changed? If so, where can I look for options? Any recommendations? Looking for simpler style.

2. Another possibility is the 5572 Harrison sofa – does this sofa sit similarly to the Evening sofa? (We didn’t actually get to test out the Evening sofa but did sit in the similar September sofa, which we are assuming it is similar to). How does the Harrison compare to the Evening vs. September: does it sit more upright like the September or does it have a slight pitch like the West End? Is it curved or is that just the way the photo looks on the internet? Are the cushions filled more like the September or less like West End? (This question might be from looking at the difference of down filled vs standard cushions that were on the various sofas. We are looking at standard core cushions.)

3. Is there anything you can tell me about the NC301 Ripley Sofa? It is not shown in leather on the internet but comes up as a sofa option. The main reason it caught my eye was the 27” depth but have not been able to find any information about it. (Also not sure what the “NC” in front of the numbers meant – Lacross had the same.)

Sorry for being long winded. Really appreciate your time and thoughts. Hopefully I am moving in the right direction in making a decision.

TLoomis Guest

There is a nice photo of the Ripley in leather on page 2 of the April 2011 Market photos thread. I was looking at this one too, for the depth. I'd post it here if I only knew how...

crunchysue Guest

Here's a link to the Ripley picture: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...0282#post10282

Thanks TLoomis and crunchysue for the heads up. Despite the hours I've spent on the forum reading and learning, I missed the photo. Is anyone familiar with how the Ripley sits? It certainly warrants a look as it fits our desire for a deep and wide sofa plus has a nice height to it as well.
    Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by lynhig View Post
    We liked the way West End sat – both inside depth and width was great - but was not crazy about the arm length – seemed short and may be troublesome if wanted to lay down and nap. Looked through sofa options again and came across the 5342 Lacross Sofa which seemed to have very similar frame dimensions. Wondering if the Lacross sits similar to West End? Is the pitch about the same? Do the back pillows come to the same height on the frame as the West End or is it much lower? Is it possible to get the sofa “un-tufted?” Has this been done before? Would there be a cost difference? (I know it’s a shame to request but it’s not the look we are going for.) Finally, can the legs on the sofa be changed? If so, where can I look for options? Any recommendations? Looking for simpler style.

2. Another possibility is the 5572 Harrison sofa – does this sofa sit similarly to the Evening sofa? (We didn’t actually get to test out the Evening sofa but did sit in the similar September sofa, which we are assuming it is similar to). How does the Harrison compare to the Evening vs. September: does it sit more upright like the September or does it have a slight pitch like the West End? Is it curved or is that just the way the photo looks on the internet? Are the cushions filled more like the September or less like West End? (This question might be from looking at the difference of down filled vs standard cushions that were on the various sofas. We are looking at standard core cushions.)

3. Is there anything you can tell me about the NC301 Ripley Sofa? It is not shown in leather on the internet but comes up as a sofa option. The main reason it caught my eye was the 27” depth but have not been able to find any information about it. (Also not sure what the “NC” in front of the numbers meant – Lacross had the same.)
    I have a LaCross in my store, and it sits well for me. Its slightly lower - and deeper than others, but not by a lot. Yes, we can get that untufted I'm sure, but I'd have to check on if it affects the pricing. On leg swaps. you have to watch the height of the legs and too short and they pitch it forward - too long they set it back. You have to pick model numbers of the legs you like and then your dealer has to call down to see if they will fit.

Been too long since I sat i a Harrison., but yes, all cushions appx the same size haver the same core.

"NC" stands for "North Carolina", designed in-state. That's all it is....
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane. Will look at leg options then pm you for price quotes.