Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetable tanned leather

julian Guest

Default Vegetable tanned leather

Hi everyone,

First post on the forum. My question is whether vegetable tanned leather is commonly used for upholstery. It's fairly common in high end dress footwear. Wondering if the high end furniture manufacturers use these types of leathers.

J

Default Re: Vegetable tanned leather

'Vegetable - Tanned" is what we refer to in the furniture as "Aniline" leather and its quite common to use it in better leather furniture. It generally makes up about 2/3's the available choices in high-quality lines.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

steveshapiro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    Hi everyone,

First post on the forum. My question is whether vegetable tanned leather is commonly used for upholstery. It's fairly common in high end dress footwear. Wondering if the high end furniture manufacturers use these types of leathers.

J
    It's definitely available, and is often a hallmark of "luxury" brands from Europe or sometimes New England. As drcollie said, look for the keyword "Aniline leather" when you're examining a product to know if it's Vegetabled Tanned leather.

julian Guest

Thank you gentlemen.

AlanR Guest

I thought aniline referred only to the dye used, not to the tanning process, which I assume is mostly chromium. Am I wrong?

Aniline = Vegetable Dyed
    Chromium = Chemically Dyed

Same with rugs, the good ones are Vegetable-dyed (Plant roots - dunno why they call them Vegetables). Here's what it looks like...(courtesy of where I get my aniline Turkish rugs)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052-Palette-IMG00254.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	6862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	056-Palette-TEPSI.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	6863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	064-Palette-IMG00206.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	6864

And what the leather looks like right before it gets dyed (always has a bluish cast before it goes in the color pot)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tanned_leather.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	6865
    Duane Collie

AlanR Guest

That's ridiculous and the exact opposite of the truth:

“Among collectors it's widely agreed upon that synthetic or aniline dyes should not be compared to vegetable dyes. The passage of time and long term effects of using synthetic dye is unpredictable; change of color altogether and dyes eating into the rug are common. It's clear to see the difference between the luster and sheen of a naturally dyed antique rug compared to the dull uniform color that is produced through the use of chemical dyes.” http://nazmiyalantiquerugs.com/guide...g-making/dyes/

Chromium general refers to mineral tanning with chromium salts

Quote Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
    That's ridiculous and the exact opposite of the truth:

“Among collectors it's widely agreed upon that synthetic or aniline dyes should not be compared to vegetable dyes. The passage of time and long term effects of using synthetic dye is unpredictable; change of color altogether and dyes eating into the rug are common. It's clear to see the difference between the luster and sheen of a naturally dyed antique rug compared to the dull uniform color that is produced through the use of chemical dyes.” http://nazmiyalantiquerugs.com/guide...g-making/dyes/

Chromium general refers to mineral tanning with chromium salts
    My answer is both 'ridiculous and the opposite of the truth'? That is strong language indeed. I suggest you continue to go out to the web and read some more, then re-quote links here as often as you like. You will find that my original answers are correct. I will not address this topic further since your tone is argumentative and I have better things to do than banter in the forum with someone who just joined and has no credibility.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-05-2015 at 11:48 PM.
    Duane Collie

9. 02-05-2015

When you come here to insult - you will be banned.
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane for acting quickly. I know that I am "new" but have been following this forum for almost a year. I enjoy the information and tone from you and the other mbrs and click the ads to support the forum (and hopefully soon can make a furniture decisions and buy from you ). Many forum moderators are slow to ban people and then they lose good followers that don't enjoy combative discussions. I enjoy a good back and forth disagreement as long as all parties are respectful and there is a true desire to learn from one another.