In an effort to try to cut back on ice cream, I have lately gotten into Smoothies in a big way. So much so that I decided I need to make my own at home. I was going to buy a plain old cheap blender at Wally World until my buddies let me know that your average blender will only live 30 days making smoothies. So I asked them which one I would need and they all said.... a VITAMIX. The Arnold Schwarzenegger of blenders. Only a Vitamix can stand up to the rigors of liquifying ice. OK, if that's what I need - then I'll go get one and told my wife we're going shopping. So what's a good blender going to cost? Well, i figured if the Chinese ones were $ 50, a really good one is going to be about $ 150, right?

Wrong.

We go to the store and these Vitamix machines are $ 350 to $ 650 ! Holy Moley! My wife says "If you spend that much on a blender - you better make a lot of Smoothies". I selected a $ 490 model but we had a 20 % coupon off from Bed, Bath and Beyond and I made that purchase. Took it home, fired it up and made my first banana-strawberry smoothie. I have to tell ya, I've seen some interesting kitchen gadgets before but this thing was like having a chain saw on your counter. It's like totally violent and doesn't fool around. Its like a tornado set loose when you flip in on and it crushes everything to a puree in about 8 seconds. WOW.

I am still on the hunt for the perfect Smoothie recipe, however. Coldstone Creamery has the best ones, but I can't hit upon their formula. I can tell you what NOT to use though, and thats' Greek Yogurt. That stuff is bitter......