Thread: Cushion Firmness different with leathers?

anaye Guest

Default Cushion Firmness different with leathers?

Duane,
    We were in one of our local furniture stores the other day, the one and only store in all of the Sacramento area that NOW carries H&M.
    They just got in a Journey Sofa and Lounger with Document leather and standard Qualux cushions.
    They also had a Rugby Sofa & chair with Weston Cane Burnished leather and standard Qualux cores.

We really noticed a difference in firmness of the seat cushions, the Journey sofa we really sank down into the cushion and the Rugby sofa was much firmer. The only difference being the leather, Document which is a thinner leather vs Weston which is a thicker sturdier leather.
    We really liked that the Rugby w/Weston sat much firmer than the Journey w/Document.
    We also liked how the Journey Lounger sat over the Journey sofa, quite a difference between the sofa and lounger. The lounger evidently has a different base????

So will the thicker stiffer leathers still have that additional firmness in the cushion seat several years from now or will they soften up and become just like the thinner Document leather seat cushion?

So would it make sense to go with the next firmer cushion (21 oz I believe) on the Newton sofa we ordered with Mesquite Saddle Lightly Burnished leather, we would like to keep the firmness of the Rubgy w/Weston we sat on, even several years from now after it has worn in.

Default Re: Cushion Firmness different with leathers?

Correct. Burnished leathers are thicker and stiffer. Document is very soft and thin, so they drape and support differently.

Yes, stationary pieces are on 8-way hand-tired springs and all recliners are on integrated drop-in spring grids.

The Burnished hides soften and give more over time. Takes about a year before you really notice it. Cushion firmness is all about preference, but I almost never build extra firm cores into burnished pieces. Usually they go softer and move to ultra down, or just stay with standard 16 oz cores.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

anaye Guest

Does the Ultra Down only come with a 16oz core or can you get a 21oz extra firm with the down wrap?

You could get ultra down over 21oz, but I don't see how that would be improving the sit level over a standard 16 oz Qualux.
    Duane Collie

anaye Guest

My thinking was the down over a 210z would give a firmer overall sit with a little bit of plushness on top.

Hard to tell without sitting on one.

Is it possible to get a sample of the 16 & 21oz cores?

Quote Originally Posted by anaye View Post
    My thinking was the down over a 210z would give a firmer overall sit with a little bit of plushness on top.

Hard to tell without sitting on one.

Is it possible to get a sample of the 16 & 21oz cores?
    There are no samples to send out on cushion cores, sorry!
    Duane Collie