Thread: Burnished and Hand-Antiqued on Hancock and Moore

Default Burnished and Hand-Antiqued on Hancock and Moore

H&M has been rolling out a number of special effects on their leathers lately and I wanted to take a minute and explain the effects and how they vary:

Hand-Antiqued Leathers, such as Heirloom Chestnut, is done on the piece after its been upholstered. The entire leather surface is glazed and then wiped down to give the special effects you seen in this category. Here's an example of that finish:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...?productid=935

Burnished leathers are also done after the piece is upholstered, thought the glazing and highlighting is much less than on Hand-Antiqued. The crust leather starts out very light in color and an artisan works the glazing into the hide to achieve the special effect. A customer can request light, medium, or heavy burnishing though of course that's relative to the person at H&M doing the operation and there are no samples of different levels of burnishing. Here's an example of a burnished leather:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1839

In addition to all this, customers can request special embroidery to their pieces, or crests or seals. For example, one pro athlete wanted his signature in gold on the back of his office chair, and they were able to do that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Odd I/O Guest

Duane, how durable are these finishes? Will they wear off the piece over time? Would really hot summer weather make them prone to rubbing off?

As to customizing a Hancock and Moore piece (I'm not talking about altering the dimensions of the piece) what price range are we talking about?

I've not seen any wear off, they seem to be pretty durable. There's a topcoat over the whole thing that seals it all in.

Price of customization? Depends on what you want to do....just a couple of things as an example:

Ultra Down Cushions seat and back on a sofa: $ 270

Quilting of Leather on Sofa (back, tops, and bolster pillows) $ 375

Decorative Stitching (Sofa) $ 263

Perforation Treatment (Sofa) $ 150

Hand Lacing (per cushion) $ 150 and up

Gimp (Sofa) $ 150

The list goes on and on and on. If you can dream it up (and pay for it!) then H&M will do it.
    Duane Collie

artielange Guest

Duane, Since H-M posted the leathers online I was looking at what we ordered my new furniture in. The Crenshaw chairs and ottoman were ordered in Weston Sunrise. This is not shown as a current choice but Weston Sunrise Burnished is (at a level III). Will my chairs be a solid color? The burnished isn't a finish that I'm interested in, especially since it is a room with the Document sofa and loveseat.

Not to worry, the Burnished does not supplement the regular Weston color line. We're good!
    Duane Collie

Odd I/O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I've not seen any wear off, they seem to be pretty durable. There's a topcoat over the whole thing that seals it all in.

Price of customization? Depends on what you want to do....just a couple of things as an example:

Ultra Down Cushions seat and back on a sofa: $ 270

Quilting of Leather on Sofa (back, tops, and bolster pillows) $ 375

Decorative Stitching (Sofa) $ 263

Perforation Treatment (Sofa) $ 150

Hand Lacing (per cushion) $ 150 and up

Gimp (Sofa) $ 150

The list goes on and on and on. If you can dream it up (and pay for it!) then H&M will do it.
    Hmm, those prices don't look too bad but what do you mean by "Gimp"?

What if you want to use a class five leather as an accent? How are you charged?

Also, what are some of the best/beautiful customization you've seen? Unfortunately I don't have a designer's eye so I'm looking for some ideas.

Gimp is a decorative border trim used on a piece in a contrasting leather. Here's an example on a piece of the H&M website that shows it off well. Notice they did the arm tops in the same leather as the Gimp.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1390

Heh. If you use Class 5 leather as an accent, then the whole piece becomes a class 5 piece. Here's an example of that kind of piece:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1854

What's the best i've seen? Hard to say, I've seen a lot of spectacular pieces come through!
    Duane Collie

dwainw Guest

According to the front page of the Hancock & Moore website, you can now add branding to the list of options! Just click on the Poet Chair in the lower left corner. Who would have thought...