Thread: New member, hoping for enlightenment.

Brian4480 Guest

Default New member, hoping for enlightenment.

Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a good living room set(sofa, love seat) or a sectional but I'm on a limited budget. I don't need leather, I don't need bells and whistles, I just need it to last more then 3 years and my last couch failed me in that aspect. I can only spend 1500-2000 dollars. Is it even possible to get something that will last for that amount of time? I keep hearing "they don't make them like they used to" from NFM and other furniture places I go. I understand I am not getting top of the line goods here with my budget but surely I can get a set that will last more then a year for that kind of money. What are my best options for my situation?

Default Re: New member, hoping for enlightenment.

False economy. Why pay $ 2K for 3-year lifespan when you can pay $ 4K for a 15 year-lifespan? Double your budget and you will get 5x the usability. Just say 'no' to cheaply made furniture. If you absolutely must stay in that budget, buy pre-owned pieces off Craigslist, or the Flea market forum here. You really can buy a pre-owned, high quality $ 8,000 sofa for $ 1,000 that still has 20 years left in it.

Best bang for the buck is Taylor King's America's Pride grouping. You can get a sofa / loveseat for around $ 3k and its very well built. Or buy a sofa for around $ 1,500 and wait 9 to 10 months for the loveseat. That's what i would do. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Brian4480 Guest

Default Re: New member, hoping for enlightenment.

Thank you for the response. I do agree why pay 2k for a 3 year sofa when you can pay 4k for a 15 year sofa. Unfortunately I only have 2000.00 total to work with. I like the idea of buying the items one at a time and will do that. Now I have found a Lane used sectional for 1500 on Craigslist. Its says its kiln dried hard wood, top grain leather, and made in the US. Is Lane a good brand to buy with my limited budget? If not I will go with your idea of buying it over time but the sectional does LOOK nice.