Thread: Sunlight Effects

HeightsOfDelites Guest

Default Sunlight Effects

Duane, can you talk about the effect of sunlight on leather: what the effects are, protection schemes, versus fabric? Maybe the deterioration of my leather sofa was caused by sunlight. The sofa does not get fully direct sun but the room that it is in has four top to bottom south facing windows, so the room is bright. I do not want to block the sunlight as I like a bright room, especially in the winter.

Also in the Town and Country Collection are the there sectional sofas available such as September and Sundance and their price (they're not on the spreadsheet)?
    Thanks you are a treasure of knowledge.

The only sectional on the 2009 T&C program is the September, and its on the spreadsheet and photos in Document Saddle at the mid-$ 5,000 range. See the 2009 Town and Country thread.

Yes, the two things that ruin leather are failure to clean the hide periodically and exposure to sunlight. Aniline dyed leather will fade much more rapidly than a pigmented or finished leather as well. UV rays do a lot of damage to color of any kind, so the key is sun control, however you can get it. In my house I have a light shade of solar film on almost all my windows, as not only do I have leather, but expensive oriental rugs, and highly prized tiger maple furniture in my home as well. My wife and I also take the additional step pf placing throws over our aniline-dyed leather in the family room during the weekdays when we're all at work. At my store, I have shades on all the windows, both solid and solar film. I drop them every day as the sun comes around.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Odd I/O Guest

Compact fluorescent lighting can possibly emit UV rays I believe. There was a local TV news program (W5 here in Canada) talking about problems with these bulbs (they contain mercury causing problems when you break one/emiting harmful UV rays).

Here's a link: http://www.healthzone.ca/health/article/575275

Not sure if they'll cause damage in close proximity to your leather furniture.

Liz H Guest

Default How about low-E glass?

Does light through low-e glass also fade leather? We have a lot of windows, and rarely pull the blinds. The house has deep eaves, so there's not a lot of direct sun, but a lot of light.

Yes, if the leather is aniline it will still fade. Your low-E glass will certainly slow the process to a large degree. I think its prudent not to worry so much about it, but just to be aware it can happen and keep an eye on the fading.

In my family room at my house, its all windows...I have solar film on the glass and it helps considerably, but my wife and I take the extra step of putting 'throws' over our aniline leather furniture when we're at work Mon through Fri, and leave them off on the weekends.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.