Thread: 8-way hand tied construction vs. Sinuous wire springs

Hybrid View

reginarose7721 Guest

Default 8-way hand tied construction vs. Sinuous wire springs

I am searching for two sofas that have all the style features I'm looking for and a fabric I love. I've narrowed it down to these brands: Hickory Chair, Wesley Hall, Lillian August, Hancock & Moore and Massoud. The latter company offers "sinuous wire spring" construction, which I'm not familiar with. I've always heard that 8-way hand-tied construction is the best and since I will probably own these sofas for the next 15 years or so, I do want high quality. Should I eliminate Massoud from my list? Or is this method comparable? Thank you for your advice!

Default Re: 8-way hand tied construction vs. Sinuous wire springs

"Sinuous wire spring" is also known as no-sag, and zig-zag suspension. It's easier to install than traditional 8-way hand-tied, and at least by seasoned upholsterers on this forum, is considered to be inferior in both longevity and comfort. Oddly Consumer Reports recently claimed there was no difference, which is disappointing if the experts are correct.

HA! If you believe Consumer Reports. I gave up on them a long time ago....

Here's something to think through....

A no-sag, sinuous spring suspension in a seat deck can be installed in a factory during a build in 15 minutes on a sofa and any knucklehead with a staple gun can put one in. An 8-way hand-tied suspension takes 8 hours and requires a skilled worker to set it properly. THIRTY-TWO TIMES AS LONG. If you buy into the Consumer Reports blather, then why in the world would any manufacturer continue to do it?

8 hours x $ 20 an hour (skilled) = $ 160.00 in labor cost. 15 minutes x $ 14 an hour (semi-skilled) is $ 3.50. They could save $ 157 in labor plus another $ 150 or so in parts if they gave up 8-way hand-tied. And that's just the seat suspension. There are lots of shortcuts one can take to reduce the price of a sofa or chair. That's why you see the price differences in something like a Hancock and Moore from a Natuzzi.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

reginarose7721 Guest

Thanks for that thought! I have eliminated Massoud from my list but have added two more: Highland House and Bentley Churchill. Also still considering Hancock & Moore, Wesley Hall and Hickory Chair. Of these five, would you say any stand out as superior? Inferior? Or are they more or less comparable brands? FYI, I will be placing a COM order...once I find my fabric.

H&M and Wesley Hall are the cream of that crop. Hickory Chair used to be in the 90's, not so much now. Highland house is mediocre and Bentley Churchill I have no experience with.
    Duane Collie

reginarose7721 Guest

[QUOTE=Highland house is mediocre and Bentley Churchill I have no experience with.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for your insight. Could you please elaborate as to why you say Highland House is only "mediocre" (ie Methods? Materials? Workmanship?)

Highland House's website is down, and I can't look at their build at this time. Going from memory, I believe it plywood built.
    Duane Collie