Thread: Some thoughts on Chinese furniture

soster Guest

Default Some thoughts on Chinese furniture

Our store closing sale has brought in a lot of people, and here in Chicago we have every nationality, race, and religion represented, so its been interesting to hear the questions people ask.

Our "American" customers don't ask where the furniture is made. I tell them most of its made here (or in Canada) and their jaw drops.

Our first generation Asian customers from China and Vietnam have been asking however. They specifically don't want furniture made in China. They just don't trust the quality.

Whodu thunk it?

virgvv Guest

That is telling...

I just chanced upon this excellent forum yesterday, which is how I found out your store is closing. I live in Morton Grove, and didn't know that. Guess I haven't driven that direction down Dempster in a while. I'm sorry to see another local business go.

Do you have any recliners left? I've been looking more at club chair styles, but haven't ruled out the styles you carry.

How do the brands you carry compare to Ekornes, over all? I don't have any particular opinion about Ekornes except that it seems to be popular (and pricey).

Thanks!

soster Guest

Thanks for the kind thought. My name is Steve, please introduce yourself to me when you come in. I've got a few left. All are different looking from Ekornes but about the same quality. We have new hours, open Thursday - Sunday only now.

Hey Steve, Odd that you mention that, as I have the same experience in my store. The folks that come in whose heritage is from Pacific Rim countries usually want to steer clear of items made in China or Vietnam. As a whole, they want better-made, American products.

Americans will buy the Chinese goods, however - though the tide is turning on that.

So how is the closing sale going? Have you had enough resurgence in business to consider re-merchandising and giving it another shot, or ready to be done with it? I hate to see your store go under.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

virgvv Guest

Thanks, Steve. I'll stop in on Thursday.