Thread: Snowed in.

Default Snowed in.

Couldn't get into work today, my wife's SUV and my daughters' car were fine, but I have fancy Summer Performance tires on my car and they just spun the minute they hit the snow. I was stuck home by myself! Decided to park the car rather than risk putting in in the ditch. I eyeballed my BMW enduro bike, thinking "bet it can make it, it has better tires on it". Decided to try it in the snow and that was almost a disaster as well. Argh! Much work to do at the store, I do not need to sit home. Oh well.....

My summer performance tires were worn out anyways so I spent the day researching tires and ordered some Michelin All-Seasons so I can get a little "go" in the snow.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dr56 Guest

Wow, snowed in? I bet that doesn't happen often for you. We are well used to it living in NE Ohio in the heart of the snowbelt. Our storm is on its way and my girls are hoping for a snow day tomorrow! Enjoy your "leasure" time at home......sometimes we are forced to relax aren't we? For this we are grateful for technology!

Enjoy the snow and tire shopping.

dwainw Guest

Did you run across the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires in your search? I would put them up against Michelin All-Seasons in any situation. They are quiet, refined, great feedback, long lasting. In Finland where they are made, they are considered all-season; here in the states they easily match the dedicated snow tires in the white stuff. Next time you are in New England, take a look at the Subarus and you'll find many have ditched the factory tires... with the Nokians and all wheel drive they are nearly unstoppable.

Don't get snowed in too often, and in fact there was only 2 or 3" on the ground. I should have made it to work easy, but I've been milking the remaining tread on my car tires and there is just no way they can go in the snow with the temperature rating they have. Yes, I was being cheap <laughing>. Well, I did order my new tires today from Tire Rack so they should be here shortly. They were the only ones in the USA that had the tire I wanted so I had to ship them in rather than buying locally.

I know the Nokians are a decent winter tire, as are my personal favorite Bridgestone Blizzaks, which are amazing the first 30% of their tread life. But we only get a couple days of snows so I wanted a high performance all-season which led me to the tire Michelin just rolled out in December, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I drive 'spirited' most the time and that tire should stick to the blacktop pretty good in the Spring/Summer/Fall....and roll enough in the winter to get me where I need to go (though less spirited in the winter). I used to run two sets of wheels/tires on my cars, but am trying to avoid buying that second set of wheels for my BMW.
    Duane Collie

eft Guest

Two wheels in snow?

It was a bad idea, didn't work. Need a sidecar for my motorcycle. THEN it would work!
    Duane Collie

dwainw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I know the Nokians are a decent winter tire, as are my personal favorite Bridgestone Blizzaks, which are amazing the first 30% of their tread life. But we only get a couple days of snows so I wanted a high performance all-season which led me to the tire Michelin just rolled out in December, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I drive 'spirited' most the time and that tire should stick to the blacktop pretty good in the Spring/Summer/Fall....and roll enough in the winter to get me where I need to go (though less spirited in the winter). I used to run two sets of wheels/tires on my cars, but am trying to avoid buying that second set of wheels for my BMW.
    The Pilot Sports do have a good reputation, but after five winters with the Nokians I'm still impressed with them. The snow traction actually matches the Blizzaks I've had in the past, but their abilities aren't limited to the first 7,000 miles or so. And there is no squishy squirminess with the Nokians that is normally associated with a winter tire.

In fact I was astonished at the grip of the Nokian Hakk WRs. My summer tire is a Bridgestone RE070 that turns into a rock below 40 and risks loosing chunks below 30, so I had no choice but to have a fourth-season alternative. And with the price of the forged BBS rims that came on my car, semi-annual dismount/mount was out of the question. No doubt there is a difference in performance between the Bridgestones and the Nokians on warm dry pavement, but when it turns cold I can still turn in 0-60 times under 5 seconds and corner above what the local constabulary might consider reasonable and prudent.

Spirited? Check.

Would I want to take the Nokians to Summit Point? If they were open tomorrow, it would be a hoot!