Thread: Quality Dining Room table

crsimao Guest

Default Quality Dining Room table

So i am getting married in June and me and my wife to be are shopping for furniture now since we need all new stuff. We want to make sure that whatever we buy is good quality furniture. We went to raymore and flanigan and saw some tables but not sure about the quality of the manufacture. The first table is from riverside furniture (http://homegallerystores.com/shop/16...ing_table.html ) , the 2nd and 3rd pieces are from hooker furniture ( http://www.raymourflanigan.com/summe...698004795.aspx ) AND ( http://www.raymourflanigan.com/viney...698047808.aspx ). Being that this is the first time we are buying furniture any suggestions on other manufactures are welcomed.

Default Re: Quality Dinning Room table

Those are neither high quality or low quality tables based on the maker. They fall straightaway into the middle ground, or perhaps a little under the mid-point. One cannot tell quality from a web site photo, you have to see how its made up close and personal. I can tell quality from photographs, but need good, solid hi-res photos of the underside of the table including all the places where two pieces come together and are joined. You might look a little funny in the store shooting the bottom of a table with a Canon or Nikon digital SLR and flash.

Proper joinery means structural integrity = longevity. But to do a 'good' table and set of chairs is labor and material intensive - and you're looking at 3 to 4 x the price of those units which is tough on newlyweds. Sometimes the middle ground is OK to get you started and you can upgrade down the road when the income stream is better established. Good luck in your search!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

crsimao Guest

Default Re: Quality Dinning Room table

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Those are neither high quality or low quality tables based on the maker. They fall straightaway into the middle ground, or perhaps a little under the mid-point. One cannot tell quality from a web site photo, you have to see how its made up close and personal. I can tell quality from photographs, but need good, solid hi-res photos of the underside of the table including all the places where two pieces come together and are joined. You might look a little funny in the store shooting the bottom of a table with a Canon or Nikon digital SLR and flash.

Proper joinery means structural integrity = longevity. But to do a 'good' table and set of chairs is labor and material intensive - and you're looking at 3 to 4 x the price of those units which is tough on newlyweds. Sometimes the middle ground is OK to get you started and you can upgrade down the road when the income stream is better established. Good luck in your search!

Thanks drcollie for the information. What we are looking for right now is a casual table that we can extend and make a dinning room table but when we purchase a home down the line it would become our kitchen table.