Thread: Breakfast room table -- help with size

Cookie Guest

Default Breakfast room table -- help with size

I have a long and narrow breakfast room (9' x 19'), and a formal dining room that's about 14' square. I intend to use the latter as a play room (once we have kids), so all the dining will happen in the breakfast room in the next few years.

Right now, there is a temporary 42'' round table in the breakfast room. I want to replace it with a rectangular table, perhaps a trestle table, to seat 4-6 people (two of us, two imaginary kids, plus parents/in-laws who visit us occasionally.)

I'd probably go custom for this new table, as I want a high quality one made with solid walnut, in a distressed finish, and with a pretty base. (Husband is not keen on going custom, but I will convince him..)

Here is the layout of the breakfast room (it's in the bottom half of my drawing). At one end, there is a 6' long x 2' deep x 5.5' tall aquarium. At the other end, I am thinking of doing a buffet with a painting above it. The table will be in the middle. What table size (& shape) do you think would be ideal?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breakfast_Room_Layout.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	4473 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-1.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	4486 Attachment 4487

I put a 7' long x 34'' deep table in my drawing. Do you think it's too long and/or too narrow? Could I do 36'' or 38'' instead? I am thinking of seating 3 people on each side in chairs, and leaving the pretty table base visible at the two ends. Would it be better to do two long benches instead? Husband doesn't think benches will be comfortable, but we have limited space..

Or, would I be better off doing a 48'' round table instead? I could display 4 chairs, and add the other 2 chairs when needed.

Name:	icovia_3.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	4489

At the moment, I like this Jonathan Charles chair (22.5'' wide x 23.5'' deep x 42'' tall), and the trestle table below (with a ticker table top).

Name:	jonanthan_charles_494773-1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	4475 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tres1b.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	4488

Thank you for reading!
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-10-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Default Re: Breakfast room table -- help with size

I think you're on the right track with the rectangular ensign, the round table won't work as well. You're being pushed a little with the 9' width, so I'd definitely not go wider than 36" . If the table is 3' wide, it takes a minimum of 2' either side of the table for chair egress, so there's 8' of your 9' gone. You'll be 6" either side of the table for chair rotation and its going to feel a little cramped but its manageable. Keep the rest of the room in smaller scale to make the space look and feel larger. Keep the Trestle table thinner, not heavier. It will make for less mass and the table won't be nearly as costly as if made with heavy stock.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bubbaonline Guest

I'd think you could find plenty of 36" X 60" tables, with two 12" leaves to take it to 84", if that's what you want... Doesn't seem like you'd have to go custom...

Cookie Guest

Points well taken.

I was concerned that 36'' may be too deep, so I didn't pay much attention to them. Now that you guys think it will be fine, I am going to do another round of search..

I am also going to focus on less beefy tables. The trestle table I posted earlier will probably be more suitable for my formal dining room.

bubbaonline Guest

I like these...
    http://nicholsandstone.com/OurProduc...t1=14&view=all

We bought the Back Bay Boat Top table.... It's 40 X 60 with two leaves.. Tables are reasonable ($1400-$2000).. Chairs are pricey ($400-$600 ea.), but worth it and super comfy..

Edit: Most of those tables are 38" to 44" wide... might be harder to find a 36" table than I thought..