Thread: Breakfast room table -- help with size

Threaded View

Cookie Guest

Default Breakfast room table -- help with size

I have a long and narrow breakfast room (9' x 19'), and a formal dining room that's about 14' square. I intend to use the latter as a play room (once we have kids), so all the dining will happen in the breakfast room in the next few years.

Right now, there is a temporary 42'' round table in the breakfast room. I want to replace it with a rectangular table, perhaps a trestle table, to seat 4-6 people (two of us, two imaginary kids, plus parents/in-laws who visit us occasionally.)

I'd probably go custom for this new table, as I want a high quality one made with solid walnut, in a distressed finish, and with a pretty base. (Husband is not keen on going custom, but I will convince him..)

Here is the layout of the breakfast room (it's in the bottom half of my drawing). At one end, there is a 6' long x 2' deep x 5.5' tall aquarium. At the other end, I am thinking of doing a buffet with a painting above it. The table will be in the middle. What table size (& shape) do you think would be ideal?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breakfast_Room_Layout.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	4473 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-1.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	4486 Attachment 4487

I put a 7' long x 34'' deep table in my drawing. Do you think it's too long and/or too narrow? Could I do 36'' or 38'' instead? I am thinking of seating 3 people on each side in chairs, and leaving the pretty table base visible at the two ends. Would it be better to do two long benches instead? Husband doesn't think benches will be comfortable, but we have limited space..

Or, would I be better off doing a 48'' round table instead? I could display 4 chairs, and add the other 2 chairs when needed.

Name:	icovia_3.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	4489

At the moment, I like this Jonathan Charles chair (22.5'' wide x 23.5'' deep x 42'' tall), and the trestle table below (with a ticker table top).

Name:	jonanthan_charles_494773-1.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	4475 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tres1b.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	4488

Thank you for reading!
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-10-2013 at 09:12 PM.