Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bye-Bye Tacoma...

Default Re: Bye-Bye Tacoma...

Did the new ride show up today? How about some more photos.

crunchysue Guest

I'm a heathen; I just go through the automatic car wash a couple times a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    "Claying" a car finish is how you remove contaminants from the paint finish, which is necessary before putting anything over the paint. Never wax over dirt! Most people - by far - won't invest the time to put on a proper finish on their cars, but for those of us that are fanantical about our cars we do that sort of thing ...

On the transporter - somewhere between Atlanta and Washington DC.....

Automatic car washes?! ACK! Nevah! (of course, I wash cars by hand in 20 degree weather - lots of folks think I'm nuts. They could be right).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I closed the store an hour early today so I could get home and clean and wax the Tacoma up for the new owner who is coming 2 and a half hours away for the truck tomorrow morning. My wife thinks I'm nuts to detail it out like a new car dealer would and deliver it with a full tank of gas - off a Craigslist ad. But hey, I can't help it! People work hard for their money and getting a new vehicle is a big deal, it should look as good as it can. I even wound up waxing the whole exterior and shampooing the carpets. When I got it all done my wife said its 'too pretty to sell' and I should keep it. I thought about that for like....15 seconds and said 'I'd rather have that BMW that's coming/" I hope the lady that's buying it likes it - I have it all shiny and ready for the Dance.

Duane Collie

Don't forget to take off the tags. I once sold a car to a private party and had to drive an hour to retrieve them.

Good luck with the new ride, have fun.

MJM_CA Guest

Meticulous, Duane! Have you ever heard of Griots garage (www.griotsgarage.com)? His products and catalog would be right up your alley.

Oh yes, I've used Griot's stuff many years ago - but I've moved on to the next level now and use professional grade products. I'm a bit of a car nut....
    Duane Collie

Arrived Monday morning with 3" of snow on it as it came off the transporter. Less than glamorous! The car was filthy and had a layer of crud on it from not only being transported, but sitting outside at the dealership or wherever it was until I bought it. First I went over it with a Clay Bar and removed so much dirt and crud that I used up one entire clay bar, and I've never done that before on any car. Then I used 3M rubbing compound (by hand) to get rid of the light surface scratches and acid rain marks on it, and that's one way to work up a sweat in a 50 degree cold garage at night! After that, a coat of Opti-Seal, then 24 hours for it to cure followed by a specialty spray carnauba wax. NOW its ready to show off a little...lol. Can't say that I'm missing the Tacoma....

4,200 miles on it, year 2012, about $ 13,000 less than buying a new one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	4513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001_edited-1.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	4514
    Duane Collie

Vegas Guest

Whoa doggy, that car is beautiful and what a detail job you did. My oh my. The Tacoma also looked fabulous and your just an upright kind of guy.

Scuba Guest

NICE RIDE! Do you feel like turning cars? JK