Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sundance Sectional in Weston Sand

BevoGal Guest

Default Sundance Sectional in Weston Sand

It's here! Tomorrow is cleaning day and I will have the sofa properly modeled - come back for pictures . Everyone is enjoying this new featured piece in our family room.

Our delivery from SUN was less than perfect, but Duane has handled that very well (as you would expect). I will write a full review soon. We will return to The Keeping Room for an ottoman and/or desk chairs in the future -- the H&M pieces are built to last, and we love the quality.

BevoGal Guest

Default Re: Sundance Sectional in Weston Sand

Check out the photos of our Sundance Sectional in Weston Sand:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Views:	1070 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	4505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	1144 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	4506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	1121 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	4507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	1018 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	4508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	907 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	4509

Most of these are without the flash - you can see how the color will vary from light tan to almost wet sand/green, depending on the light.

This is what we ordered from Duane:

4716LAQ/4718RAQ
    Weston Sand (Grade III)
    A Nail
    Standard cores
    Hazlenut wood feet
    Last edited by BevoGal; 03-18-2013 at 04:25 PM.

BEAUTIFUL is the only word that comes when looking at your photos. Congratulations on you choice.

Larry

artielange Guest

Gorgeous! I love when people choose a color other than brown.

Its quite a handsome piece!

We had quite a go with delivery on this one, and Bevogal never lost her cool about it. I told her she could tell the whole story here, because I always believe in the truth above all else and let the chips fall where they may, and since we are all adults here we know that everyone makes mistakes from time to time. I think its important to share the good with the bad so that folks can make informed decisions about whom they buy for and how things can sometimes happen.

First, her delivery was a bit late. Not hugely, but it took about a week longer to get to Texas than normal. That's an irritant, but nothing major. However, when they were getting ready to load out of the Dallas facility to her house four hours down the road, they noticed about a dozen markings on the piece and didn't want to deliver it. Sun contacted me first and advised Bevogal of that, but she had already disposed of her existing pieces and really didn't want to send the entire sectional back to H&M and have it gone another 4 to 6 weeks for repair to new status. So the question became - how bad are the marks and can they be touched up?

Like most organizations, we were dealing with entry level at Sun and they said there was nothing they could do but the truck was being loaded the next day and she would have to accept it damaged or it would go back to NC otherwise. That's an unacceptable answer so I got involved and asked the owners of Sun to send in a Dallas Leather Expert the next morning to see if he could manage the repairs. They agreed to do so, but the gentleman they sent in said there was nothing they could do. After that, I asked for detailed photos of the markings. Of the dozen or so, ten were normal pressure marks you expect to see on Weston - Sun is just not used to handling fine leather pieces (85% of all leather out there is painted Chinese). So that was a relief, but two marks were abrasion scratches, and from the poor quality of the photos I could not tell how severe they were. BevoGal at least wanted to look at the furniture so while Sun balked at delivering it, I insisted they should do so and she still retained rights of refusal. I also quick-shipped her a cleaner/conditioner kit that sometimes works at massaging out friction marks.

Saturday rolled up - delivery date. While Bevogal was getting her delivery, I had the person buying my Toyota Tacoma here to pick it up and do the title transfer, and then two sets of customers on the store buying furniture, and the Sun Truck is at her house! It was madness trying to juggle it all, but I knew she needed me on the phone while they off-loaded her sectional. First they said they only had one half of the sectional on the truck and my heart sank. HOW COULD THEY LOAD JUST HALF OF IT? But they pulled the half they did have out and indeed the scratches were more severe on this nearly $ 10K piece than we anticipated. I told her 'You paid for new, you should have new - don't accept anything you are not happy with'. After a few calls back and forth to Sun Dispatch, it turns out the other segment was on the truck and the delivery team was just being lazy, expecting her to refuse the one piece. I got on the phone with the Sun Delivery guy on site and (didn't yell at him) but told him to offload the second piece and let her look at everything together out in the driveway. So they did.

Bevogal was torn between refusing the piece and accepting it as it would take 6 weeks to do a round-trip and repair. She sent me better photos and I could immediately see the sections in question would have to be re-leathered at H&M, which was going to be costly for Sun and take some time to do. I told her these were non-repairable at her home and if she accepted the piece, they would always be there. She and her husband debated, but in the end agreed to take them if Sun would discount the $ 594 delivery charge. The Driver said he could not do that. I wasn't going to let that happen, and got on the phone with Sun's HQ in North Carolina and told them to switch the billing to my store and I would pay for the delivery fee. Well, on a Saturday the big bosses at Sun were not there to approve that but as I told the Customer Service people: "You see The Keeping Room come through on a lot of shipments, don't you? And you know I have a net 30 Billing Account in good standing, so I want to you to switch the billing to me" They agreed I am a good customer and always pay my bills, so after sending them an email authorizing the switch of billing. Bevogal accepted the piece as-is and did not pay the driver.

I decided that if that sectional was in my own store with those scratches on it, I would discount it about the same amount as the delivery charges ( $ 594) so I sent Bevogal an email telling her there would be no delivery charges at all coming to her, I would pay for it or get it taken care of. I would not feel right having here pay full price for a marked piece.

On Monday I sent the owners of Sun Delivery the photos of the scratches and told them its likely the repair cost from H&M would be $ 600 to $ 900, plus the round trip transport. I told them whatever bill there was to be on the freight should be sent to me, but in lieu of the fact that they did not have to return the piece, they should consider sharply reducing or eliminating the delivery charge of $ 594. I have an excellent working relationship with them and they agreed to waive the delivery charges altogether in light of the projected repair costs.

So while I feel bad that Bevogal's pieces where scratched, the most important thing was that she is happy with the outcome. That's what matters most. No one wants scratches on their new expensive sectional and I fully appreciate that. Sun does a great job for me day in and day out, and obviously they could not stay in business if this was the norm. About one delivery a year will go sour like this and its just bad luck it happened on her sectional. Such is the hazard of long distance deliveries however and something for everyone to keep in mind when they order long distance, regardless of the dealer they get it from or delivery company used.

I think we got a satisfactory ending to this one, however. The scratches were on the backside and not where you see it the most, Bevogal has the piece in her home and the delivery was done at no charge. Not a bad outcome overall. Thanks again for your patience in all this Bevogal, you were very calm about it all and that goes a long ways in my book.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hglaber Guest

Looked at another way, although they unfortunately damaged the items, they're the ones that caught it and wanted to send it back for repair (I assume at their expense). I'm sure others would have simply attempted delivery, hoping the marks would not be spotted and the buyer would just sign off. Once they have that sig, right or wrong they are legally off the hook.

Mistakes are inevitable. How they handle them is often what distinguishes mediocre/bad companies from great ones. That goes for employees, too, come to think of it.

BevoGal Guest

Duane, you summarized that exactly as it happened, THANK YOU!

It was a harried event, but we are definitely happy to finally have our sectional. Removing freight charges helps us live with the scratches -- we are so thankful it is not in a very obvious place. And I am glad to hear Sun has removed the charges from The Keeping Room's bill as well (as it shouldn't really fall on Duane either). The pictures they sent us before delivery did not show the scratches nearly as well as my Nikon did (I took photos in the drive, and sent them to Duane). To send it off for several more weeks...we couldn't bear the thought that it could be scratched AGAIN. Seeing the marks out in the driveway does a lot to your nerves, and then trusting it to come back in better condition is just a stretch at that point. I am so glad Duane was on the phone with us, while putting out other fires! My husband was much happier after talking with him, and that makes ME much happier (after convincing my husband to spend this much $$ on a sofa, I don't want him disappointed in any part of it ). Direct quote from my husband: "Duane sounds like someone who can get things DONE." We very much needed his assurance during this process (after my husband had an unsuccessful conversation with Sun's dispatcher, who refused discounted delivery so we could keep the piece). Many thanks again to Duane.

Overall, we understand our delivery happened to be one of the few mishaps with Sun. We will not hesitate to order from Duane again, even when the piece is delivered by Sun. Whatever I order will surely be smaller than this giant, and less likely to get a mark! However, Sun did do more than any other delivery company by fully inspecting the piece and not wanting to deliver it unless it was at 100%. A lot of lessons learned here. But so happy to have a beautiful sectional, where our entire family of five can sit together, at the end of it!

MJM_CA Guest

Very nice looking, Bevogal!

I had similar issues with rub marks on my sectional when delivered via West Express. West Express took half the sectional back and replaced a panel of the leather in-house. It's a different leather for sure that is used, but its on the back arm and not really noticeable. I waited ~4 weeks for the repair. It was going to be double wait time if H&M repaired.

Another small rub mark was touched up with the repair kit from Duane. When you put it on, you're going to say this isn't matching, but it dries and blends in very nicely.

Daisymarie18 Guest

Wow...what an experience! I am so happy your Sundance is finally home It is absolutely beautiful!!!

The leather you chose really accentuates the piece, wow!