Thread: Pricing for a Sofa

debbimc Guest

Question Pricing for a Sofa

I have had my eye on BradYoung until I started reading this forum & the comments on quality, durability..maybe I can have H/M !! My LR is small but not apt size, so I am looking for sofa that is not huge. In the BY the 524-95 & the Briarcliff 572-95 in a 9511--F leather.I had a quote of $1936 on the BY in the 95-11 leather. WELL, now I see H&M Citizen, City & Member styles that look likr they may work. ARe any of these in the Town/Country series.
    What price range & how do the H/M compare w/ the BY- & what is available in the Town Country--the H/M website doesn't explain the promotion- This is so challenging. I want to make the right decision as I will live with it for a long time. It is a struggle but it is kind of fun learning ....THANKS for your efforts & knowledge & expertise

Welcome to the forum debbimc, and all the tools you need are right here on the forum. I have the 2009 Hancock and Moore Town and Country Promotion listed on a 'sticky' thread at the top of the LEATHER forum. You can see the styles via scanned photos along with the lead leather in each piece. At the end of the thread is a pricing spreadsheet you can download and read as long as your computer can open an EXCEL file.

City and Member are both in the Town and Country promotion, btw.

Bradington-Young is decent enough, but its not Hancock and Moore. I sell both labels (and own both labels in my own home) but there's no question in my mind that H&M builds a far more detailed and tailored piece. If you can get into an H&M for about the same money as B-Y, I think you're ahead of the game with H&M.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

crouch Guest

Duane,

In a recent post, you mentioned that some Bradington Young sectionals might run in the $3500 range, substantially less than the H&M sectionals that seem to start in the $5500 range even in the Town & Country program.

Do you happen to carry any BY sectionals or can you otherwise identify whether any of them have deeper seating? I'm looking for a comfortable, deep-seated sectional for a family room. Ideally, the interior seat depth would be in the 24-26 inch range when you modestly squish in the back cushion to make some extra room (as you would if two people were laying side-by-side to watch tv).

I called BY but the sales rep I spoke with indicated that all their sectionals have 20-21 inch interior seat depths. I tend to doubt that based on looking at the photos on their website, which seem to show rather deep-seated sectionals. I believe I've also read posts indicating that BY tends to run deeper than average, which again makes me question the depth quoted by the BY sales rep.

I'd appreciate any real world experience you have with the BY sectional line re: seat depth. Not too many stores seem to carry sectionals to look at.

Also, I've been told by a decorator friend that we should focus on a sectional for a particularly long wall we have in the family room. Her description of the sectional was essentially a wider-than-average sofa, perhaps with a built-in chaise on one end. I doubt we would want the chaise aspect but I probably agree that the wall demands a wider-than-average piece. Would building a sectional be the way to go to achieve that goal? If so, does H&M (for example in the September) offer a way to build a "sectional" that is straight against the wall, as opposed to an L shape?

What do you think about the H&M 4717 Sundance (110 inches wide) as an alternative to a sectional for that purpose? It only has three seat cushions, but would you consider that to be able to accommodate 4 persons rather easily?

I know it's difficult to comment without seeing the room, but any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had a $ 3,500 B-Y sectional on the floor in their married cover program, but it recently sold. It was the 727-91 and has a inside depth of 22.5". Not my favorite, the leather was mediocre at best and it had lumpy tailoring. I will not re-order it for stock.

Seat depth is a mixed bag. Cushions on all do break-in, which increases the seating depth somewhat, and you do have the problem of any sofa that is deep enough to accommodate two people laying down on it, then its too deep to comfortable sit upon. Men forget that women's legs are much shorter than theirs, and the ladies don't like to have their feet dangling when sitting upright - it makes for an uncomfortable sitting posture.

But there is a solution, and I'll tell you what it is. Get a normal depth sectional, and a larger leather ottoman to match that has appx. a 2" drop from the seat height of the sectional. When you want to snuggle up on the sectional, push that ottoman into the sectional and you have effectively made it into a chaise. Works particularly well in the corner section.

Best thing to do is use a room planner on-line. Here's one that is really good and its free:

http://www.jordans.com/roomplanner.asp

The Sundance is a great piece. Without a doubt the most spectacular sectional I've ever sold and delivered. As to the long sofa version, you're going to find that rarely will 4 people sit on a sofa no matter how long it is. Its awkward and everyone feels like they're waiting for a train. I'd not buy a large sofa of any kind with that in mind. Better to have a pair of smaller sofas, or the sectional.
    Duane Collie

crouch Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. You always are a great help.

Because the sofa will be in the family room and based on the way we watch tv, there probably won't be many people sitting upright on this sofa. We will either be laying down or otherwise kind of lounging on it, hence the preference for a deep seat. My wife is very short and I'm tall, so the lounging concept works best for us. I will think about that ottoman idea - it's a possible solution.

The other question I had is whether there's such a thing as a "straight sectional" in the H&M world. We don't need an L-shape - we just need a wider piece to take up some space along our wide wall opposite the tv. I've seen configuration options from other manufacturers that allow straight sectionals (with and without chaises) but I'm not sure whether H&M has the same options.

On the 4717 Sundance, I don't think we'd ever have 4 people on the sofa. I guess the real question is whether you think it essentially could substitute for a "straight sectional" due to its extra width.

Oh sure, you can make a sectional straight from most any maker by just adding pieces into the grouping - but not sure I like that look so much. Without seeing the room my thoughts are you'd not want to go much past a 110" sofa / sectional however. You don't want that wall to look like an airport waiting lounge. That 4717 is about as long as they get at 110". Don't forget that the Sundance series has a slight curve to the front edge and back, which doesn't show well in the photos on the H&M web site. So its not going to be 'flat' against the wall at each end of the sofa. Sundance has a lot of style to it, so that's a huge plus on a long piece. If you're prepared for that gentle curve of the sofa it could be a good choice.

The longest 'straight' sofas would be the # 4887 Tall Jim (23.5" I. Depth, 95" L), the # 5010 Highlands (24" I. Depth, 101" L), and the # 4192 Settlement (29" I. Depth-deepest of all the H&M sofas, 100.5" L)
    Duane Collie