Thread: Comforters?

JReger Guest

Default Comforters?

[I love that you call buying bedding a "dark art"! ]

So hello everyone! I am glad to join this great community. I am trying to find a nice light comforter that my wife and I can use on the bed especially during summer - warm and comfy for cool nights but not too hot. And above all light and airy. (Has anyone ever made a comforter? I am very curious about that possibility.)

What would you recommend? Or even in general, what is a good comforter that you have or like? I prefer downy-type ones to synthetic, by the way.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice! I look forward to learning a lot on these forums.
    Last edited by aaron; 03-22-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spamming

Default Re: Comforters?

My wife and I used a Cuddledown brand 'Summer Blanket'. Its down, but very light and still almost too hot. A real, full-size down comforter keeps so much heat in its nearly impossible to sleep under unless you're in an unheated cabin.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

I also have a down blanket and was going to suggest one. I don't remember the brand I have, but it is one of Macy's house brands. It is much cooler than a down comforter.

BevoGal Guest

I have a synthetic down comforter that was rated as "summer weight" from The Company Store. I have it inside an allergy-proof encasement from Mission Allergy, and then topped with a very thin (feels like bed sheets) duvet cover from Pottery Barn. I love it - very light and cool, never hot. And I am hot-natured! I do set the a/c at 72 at night, however. This comforter has been difficult to find again though -- I would like one in my guest room and I keep searching with no luck in the correct size/color.

The Company Store has comforters in different warmth levels. I've owned a LaCrosse medium warmth for years, it's a very good comforter for winter use. Their lightweight comforter would be good for summer use in a climate where it's cool at night. TCS offers down and "down alternative" choices, they have many different comforters AND offer many colors.

Another choice for you could be a comforter or set from IKEA, depending on how far you are from the Utah store. I own two sets of their comforters, a set has one lightweight and one midweight comforter. They can be snapped together for winter use or where it's really cold. You have to check the labels carefully on IKEA comforters, most of them are a high proportion of feathers to down. I've been happy with my IKEA comforters, I think they only come in ivory.

On this forum you always want to listen to Duane's recommendations, he posts as "drcollie." He suggests Cuddledown and they are a well-known USA-made brand. They're more expensive, but in comforters you definitely get what you pay for.

Good luck and please post what you decided. Your choice and comments could help others looking for comforters.

organic_smallhome Guest

I'd go with Cuddledown for quality. LLBean is a good runner-up. Neither are made in China.

Cuddledown makes a super-premium product. My new King Size Royal Pedic has all Cuddledown brand sheets / pillows / pad / comforter(s)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.