Thread: Recommendations for a newbie

Rhett Guest

Default Recommendations for a newbie

Hi Duane,

My wife and I just bought our dream house and are looking to buy our first quality furniture. Your forum is VERY helpful! We have looked locally in some show rooms and have an idea of the quality and style that we like but haven't gotten much info on pricing. I know that it can vary greatly depending on what kind of leather one chooses, etc. I think that if I had to choose our "perfect" set up it would be an H&M 1724 Journey Sofa and 2 H&M 7039 Journey Loungers. This is strictly from a styling perspective. We want something that will last us 20+ years and will hold up to the kids, the dog, and dad falling asleep on it now and then . Going with grade 1 leather seems like a no brainer to me as I want durability but not the premium price of the higher grades. Is this a good idea?

My budget is about $5K total for the sofa and two recliners. Is this realistic for H&M? If not is there another made in usa line from a manufacturer that you think would be a good fit and is similar stylistically?

Finally I'd love to purchase from someone who seems dedicated and trustworthy like you rather than the stores trying to hook me with 40% off sales of inflated prices but I don't know if the added shipping makes this a possibility.

Thanks for the time!

Rhett

Default Re: Recommendations for a newbie

The best bang for the buck in Hancock and Moore will be in their Town and Country collection, which will net you a better deal than the main price book in a GR 1 hide. I think that's the smart way to go, because if you have the basic solid build on the piece, then unless you do something to destroy the cover (unlikely) it will go until you get tired of looking at it and want a style change...usually by the time your kids are in college or left the nest you're ready for something new. And still the pieces will be totally serviceable and ready to pass on for a first apartment for one of your kids, etc. That's the best built product in the market today, the secret to longevity keep the hide clean and conditioned. You do that and with the free cushion core replacements H&M gives you as an original owner, there's no reason to expect you would ever have to replace it from breakdown, etc. I sent you price quotes via PM, so you can see the numbers and how close they come to your budget. If the H&M prices are too hard on the budget, then you can go Bradington Young, which gives you about 70% of the build of H&M and 70% of the price. It will also last well, but overall the H&M is worth the extra money in my opinion - if you can comfortably make the stretch to it.

<laughing> Yeah, I don't play the silly price game. The price is the price, and I don't do the sleight-of-hand off MSRP thing because I have more respect for my customer's intelligence than to subject them to that nonsense.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rhett Guest

Hi Duane,

I got your PM. Thanks so much. I'll have to discuss a bit with the boss as she has final say on just about everything Once again thanks for the info and maintaining such a great forum!

catlover Guest

I'm new to this forum but I'm looking for a leather sofa and 2 recliners also. I would like power but price would influence that. My budget is top at $4500. Is there anything I can get for that amount? I already purchased Southern Motion and I've had a problem with it, store is allowing me to do a re-select but I may try to get my money back. Help would be appreciated.

You can get into the Bradington Young line that amount and its well-made.

Stationary sofa or dual recliners on that as well?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.