Thread: New Member

Gatsby Guest

Smile New Member

Greetings everyone,
    I just discovered this forum but alas a bit too late to make use of the advice from the knowledge moderators have presented. I recently ordered a Sadler recliner from FLS not knowing about The Keeping Room and the excellent service posters indicate exists with the company. Hopefully my order will proceed smoothly.

I am trying to find a picture of the Sadler recliner in Kipling Java. If anyone has this leather selection on this chair I would appreciate a picture.

My question is whether I should use the UV spray protectant on the chair when it arrives. I think the moderator has talked about Leather Magic products as being acceptable to Hancock and Moore warranty people.

Thanks for letting me follow your threads.

hglaber Guest

Default Re: New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    My question is whether I should use the UV spray protectant on the chair when it arrives.
    If you're putting it in your basement, no. If it's going in the solarium, yes.

Ok, I'm a smart@ss, but in all seriousness you will need to provide more info if you want a solid answer from the experts here. If it helps, I use it on the unprotected leather by the window, not on the protected leather at the back of the room away from any windows. No fading yet, but I've only had them for a little over a year.

Gatsby Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hglaber View Post
    If you're putting it in your basement, no. If it's going in the solarium, yes.

Ok, I'm a smart@ss, but in all seriousness you will need to provide more info if you want a solid answer from the experts here. If it helps, I use it on the unprotected leather by the window, not on the protected leather at the back of the room away from any windows. No fading yet, but I've only had them for a little over a year.
    Kipling is unprotected grade 2. The recliner will sit beside an east facing window that is covered in sheer drapery. The spot won't get direct sun, but will certainly be in a morning light space. I am interested in any experience readers might have with the UV protectant spray on unprotected grade 2 leather.

Its not the 'protected' or 'unprotected' nomenclature, its the fact that one is painted and the other is aniline-dyed. In any kind of environment, a painted surface will withstand sun fade better than a dyed piece. We use aniline dyes on wood furniture and its more susceptible to sun fade than an oil based covering finish. Kipling is an aniline leather - I have it on my Sadler recliner in my own home and I think my chair is now 6 years old. Yes, it can sun-fade, but its not something that occurs quickly. I have a huge amount of sunlight coming in that room its in and I have applied solar aftermarket film to the windows which reduces the UV damage considerably (blocks about 85% of it). That's the preferred method, because not only will it save your leather but it will everything else in the room, too. Even hardwood floors and carpet can be faded by the sun. Yes, you can use Leather Magic's sun block (its SBF 80) on Kipling, just don't put it on too heavy or it will spot the leather. Rather than spraying it on, apply to a towel and lightly coat it, that works better.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Gatsby Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Its not the 'protected' or 'unprotected' nomenclature, its the fact that one is painted and the other is aniline-dyed. In any kind of environment, a painted surface will withstand sun fade better than a dyed piece. We use aniline dyes on wood furniture and its more susceptible to sun fade than an oil based covering finish. Kipling is an aniline leather - I have it on my Sadler recliner in my own home and I think my chair is now 6 years old. Yes, it can sun-fade, but its not something that occurs quickly. I have a huge amount of sunlight coming in that room its in and I have applied solar aftermarket film to the windows which reduces the UV damage considerably (blocks about 85% of it). That's the preferred method, because not only will it save your leather but it will everything else in the room, too. Even hardwood floors and carpet can be faded by the sun. Yes, you can use Leather Magic's sun block (its SBF 80) on Kipling, just don't put it on too heavy or it will spot the leather. Rather than spraying it on, apply to a towel and lightly coat it, that works better.
    Thank you for the information. We can't put solar film on our thermopane windows because the application voids the warranty on the windows so says the manufacturer. I will try the Leather Magic UV product and apply as you describe. How often would that need to be done to maintain protection?

I can't say how often it needs to be re-applied, but I doubt it would last longer then 3 months per application. Sun fading is a slow process and you can also simply toss an afghan over the top of the recliner when you're at work during the day, etc. That's highly effective at keeping the sun off (that's what my wife and I do at home).
    Duane Collie

Gatsby Guest

Default Re: question about dimensions

I can't say how often it needs to be re-applied, but I doubt it would last longer then 3 months per application. Sun fading is a slow process and you can also simply toss an afghan over the top of the recliner when you're at work during the day, etc. That's highly effective at keeping the sun off (that's what my wife and I do at home).
    Thank you for the information.

Now I have another concern. The seller from whom I ordered Sadler 1044 advertised that the recliner has the following dimensions ~ W32. D40. H45. Our door opening is 36" so I did not envision a problem getting the Sadler through the front door.

After several days I was on the Hancock and Moore site and happened upon a screen showing the Sadler dimensions as ~ W36. D39.5 H45. The difference in widths alarmed me because it is 4" wider than the dimensions provided by the seller and now I'm worried that the recliner is going to be difficult to pass through the doorway.

Duane if you have a Sadler on your showroom floor would it be possible to double check the width for me, please? If it is really 36" wide should it be necessary to recline the mechanism, turn the chair on an arm and try and proceed through the doorway with the back of the chair going in first?

Thanks for the help,
    Gatsby

36" doorway is cake on delivery of a Sadler, they won't even have to slow from a walk pace to get it in. No worries.
    Duane Collie

Gatsby Guest

36" doorway is cake on delivery of a Sadler, they won't even have to slow from a walk pace to get it in. No worries.
    WHEW!! That's a big relief on my mind. Thank you.