Thread: Vi Spring vs Shifman

Nosila Guest

Default Vi Spring vs Shifman

Hi. My husband and I have investigated a LOT of mattresses. We have whittled our choice between two very good mattresses. One is a Vi Spring entry level mattress that costs a ridiculous $7k and the other is the Shifman "Monet" bed for $4.5k, which is part of their master collection and is a beautiful bed as well although we don't feel that it gives us quit as much support as the Vi Spring. (The firmer Shifman is too hard for me.) Yesterday we were all set to purchase the Shifman bed until we went to the other store and laid on the Vi Spring. Ugh. Now we're confused again and can't decide.
    Also, the coil count concerns me on the Shifman. I read that a king size bed should have no less then 400 coils and the Shifman king has 368 13.5 gauge coils, 3 layers of cotton and 1"latex. The Shifman Monet has double offset, staggered, high profile coils. The Vi-Spring has over 1,000 individually pocketed coils and as many again in the foundation.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for us? Should we just put the Vi Spring out of our minds and go with the Shifman? Do they really last a long time? The Vi Springs are supposed to last a lifetime - whatever that means. Or should we consider the firmer Shifman and put a topper on it for my comfort?
    P.S. There are no Royal Pedic mattresses for us to try in our area or we would have been confused by those as well:]

Default Re: Vi Spring vs Shifman

You can't buy a bed on specs, I learned that a long time ago. Best way to buy a bed (as far as I'm concerned) is to test drive one for at least 15 minutes in the store. See how it feels, not for 15 seconds, but for 15 minutes. I know, you will feel silly doing it, but that's how you are going to know. If you have a partner that sleeps with you regularly, they should be on the bed with you. Relax and see how the bed supports you. Notice the edge stiffness and if its satisfactory. What happens to the bed when you partner moves (roll value?).

What you're paying for in a premium bedding set like a Shifman or Royal Pedic is Performance over Time. These brands will continue to sleep as good at the ten year mark as they will when new, and that's something no mass produced bed can do, the others degrade over time. I have been a dealer for both brands and slept on both. In my house, we replace them at the 15 year mark, though some people push them well beyond that time frame. Almost all your common "S" beds (Serta, Sealy, Simmons, etc) are all done at the 7-year mark.

Toppers are easy to add later, most are UPS-able as well. I suggest buying the basic bed and then sleep on it for 3 weeks to acclimate. If at the end of that time you want more 'plush' in the bed, then you can buy a topper.

Springs don't ever wear out in my experience, the material atop the springs eventually loses its resiliency and that's why the bed has to be replaced periodically.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Nosila Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You can't buy a bed on specs, I learned that a long time ago. Best way to buy a bed (as far as I'm concerned) is to test drive one for at least 15 minutes in the store. See how it feels, not for 15 seconds, but for 15 minutes. I know, you will feel silly doing it, but that's how you are going to know. If you have a partner that sleeps with you regularly, they should be on the bed with you. Relax and see how the bed supports you. Notice the edge stiffness and if its satisfactory. What happens to the bed when you partner moves (roll value?).

What you're paying for in a premium bedding set like a Shifman or Royal Pedic is Performance over Time. These brands will continue to sleep as good at the ten year mark as they will when new, and that's something no mass produced bed can do, the others degrade over time. I have been a dealer for both brands and slept on both. In my house, we replace them at the 15 year mark, though some people push them well beyond that time frame. Almost all your common "S" beds (Serta, Sealy, Simmons, etc) are all done at the 7-year mark.

Toppers are easy to add later, most are UPS-able as well. I suggest buying the basic bed and then sleep on it for 3 weeks to acclimate. If at the end of that time you want more 'plush' in the bed, then you can buy a topper.

Springs don't ever wear out in my experience, the material atop the springs eventually loses its resiliency and that's why the bed has to be replaced periodically.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! We are (finally!) closer to a decision and are probably going to purchase a Shifman mattress.
    I only have one more question, and I'm afraid that it IS about the specs... Because I have read that the best quality mattresses use a 12-13 gauge metal and the Shifman bed that I prefer has a 13.5 gauge my only concern is that it is not a good choice. I realize that it is the material atop the springs that is possibly the weakest part of the mattress but I would love to get confirmation that a 13.5 gauge in a Shifman mattress will also hold up as well as their 12.5 gauge. The mattress is part of their "masterpiece" collection and has the better fillings. We are not small people though. My husband is 6'3 and 200lb and I'm 5'8 and 150lb. I have also read that pocket coils are the best form of spring. Do you agree with this assessment or is the pocket spring only better for weight transfer? Is the style that Shifman uses just as good?
    Thank you in advance for your amazing help! I can't thank you enough!

Of all the hundreds of bedding sets I have ever sold in the past 26 years, I have never - ever - seen a coil failure. If that 13.5 gauge is concerning you, call Shifman direct in New Jersey and speak to them about it. I doubt any dealer can really address it very well as springs never seem to be an issue.

I don't see a clear advantage to pocket springs, in fact I think I'd rather have my springs tied to a grid so that its all supportive - don't have any facts to back that up, just my speculation.
    Duane Collie

Nosila Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Of all the hundreds of bedding sets I have ever sold in the past 26 years, I have never - ever - seen a coil failure. If that 13.5 gauge is concerning you, call Shifman direct in New Jersey and speak to them about it. I doubt any dealer can really address it very well as springs never seem to be an issue.

I don't see a clear advantage to pocket springs, in fact I think I'd rather have my springs tied to a grid so that its all supportive - don't have any facts to back that up, just my speculation.
    Thank you again SO MUCH!
    I am going to order the Shifman set tomorrow. My only regret is that there wasn't ONE more bed to try - the Royal Pedic in our area:] ha!
    Thanks again for everything. You really helped us make a smart choice. Thanks!

You will like your Shifman, they build a quality product that will perform well for years, just remember to rotate the matt (side to side and front to back) at least 3x a year. You really can't tell much difference between a Shifman (Master's) and a Royal-Pedic, the Shifman comes out of New Jersey by the Newark Airport and the Royal Pedic is made in Downtown L.A on the other coast!
    Duane Collie