Thread: Shifman Mattress Quality

Tracy Guest

Default Shifman Mattress Quality

Dear Duane,
    We are looking at Shifman mattresses at our local furniture store because they're giving us a credit for the crummy Sealy they sold us a while ago. Because of our Sealy experience, I am completely gun-shy about pillowtops now and want a mattress that can flipped (I don't care how heavy it is). We were steered toward a Rembrandt but now I'm worried that it will be too firm, despite the latex layer it has. But the other options are pillowtops, of course. What are your views on the whole pillowtop concept? I should also tell you that I discovered latex beds when I went again today to try out the Shifmans and thought their comfort level was unbelievable...but I know that everything is comfortable at first! They carry Englander latex mattresses, by the way. Any thoughts on those as well?
    Thanks,
    Tracy

I used to carry Shifman bedding many years ago, its a fine product. Pillowtops are purely a matter of preference, but do add cost to the piece as they are sewn top and bottom to the mattress. I prefer using a topper (which is half the pillowtop, and removable), just because it keeps the cost down and makes it much easier to handle the mattress for rotational flipping. However if you like the Shifman, you'll have a good bed that will last you an honest 14 to 15 years.

England brand I have no experience with.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Pillowtop

Pillowtops do and will sag after a while and that is across all manufacturers. It just comes with the territory and I would avoid them at all cost. I ended up buying a Latex mattress last year and I am very happy with it. I got the plush without pillowtop and if it is too firm, you can always buy another latex topper and put it on top of the mattress. This way you can always make a firmer mattress softer is that is your preference. Latex mattresses last a long time and do not attract mites.