Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1842 Literary Button Down Chair

Gatsby Guest

Default Re: 1842 Literary Button Down Chair

Ok, here goes. I've copied the image to the clipboard so now let's see if it will paste.

Did an image come through?

Gatsby Guest

Yahoo! Thanks, Duane!! Crappy resolution, but here goes.

The upholstered chair by the clock is going in the sun room to be replaced by a HM Sadler in Kipling Java. The two wingbacks I'd like to replace because they are uncomfortable. I saw the Gordon swivel chairs by HM in your posts and they seem like they would be small enough to fit in this tight space. I wonder what your thought is about them for this space? If a good choice would I repeat the Kipling Java or choose something different?

The sofa is from Hickory Chair ~ Elinor I think ~ and was custom sized for the wall it had room to go on. The dining room which is open to the living room has a Chippendale style table and chairs in very dark cherry and the walls are painted a charcoal color. The walls in the rest of the condo are Stonington Gray by BM. LR opens up into a sun room which faces south and east and is painted a butter yellow. The dog is Gatsby, a Brussels Griffon. You can see him peeking around a dining room chair wondering what in the heck I'm doing. The floors are Sepele wood.
    Last edited by Gatsby; 04-16-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Gatsby Guest

Here is a better picture of the chairs I'd like to replace. They are 29" wide - the same width as the Gordon chair.
    Last edited by Gatsby; 04-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.

There you go...its easy now, you got it!

Suggestions:

* Do you really need two chairs there? I think one will suffice plus you have the desk chair to pull up, if needed.

* A Sadler is very tall, so you want another tall chair for balance if just doing a single.

* I think the Sadler recliner will work BETTER in the spot occupied by the two wing chairs. If you put the Sadler back in the corner, it will have to be pushed far forward to enable the person in it to fully recline. It will be more inviting and easier to use in the open spot rather than the corner.

* Now, if you want to stay with a pair of chairs in that spot, I'd probably go with something like this, as they are compact, have a low profile, and would compliment.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1867

* If doing a single, I'd consider this one as it has a beautifully detailed back on it and compliments the Sadler without repeating it:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2283

And I'd switch up the hides.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Gatsby Guest

Oh, those are both beautiful. We would like to keep as close to seating for six to eight people as possible so replacing with one chair is problematic. I do like the larger chair however. Also need to think that we don't have too many years left before the retirement home so working with a tight space is a reality. What is the leather in product 1867? Also, could it be made without the undulating nailheads?

The Sadler was originally planned for the sunroom until I got "educated" about leather from your great information. i wasn't aware of you and your store and site until after we ordered the Sadler. It is due to arrive sometime in July or August. We have never owned leather before and I was ignorant regarding the issues with sun. Ironically the Sadler's next move was to have been the location you suggest and move the wings to in front of the window.

Thank you so much for taking the time with me.
    Last edited by Gatsby; 04-16-2013 at 04:37 PM.

On the small chairs, that's either Imperial Whiskey Burnished or Cameo Brown Burnished, not entirely sure which.

No worries, you don't have to buy from my store to come here for advice, that's not a requirement. I'd not worry too much about sun fade on the Sadler if you want to use it in another room. Its VERY gradual, and you can do things to block it. Leathermagic makes a SPF 80 sunscreen you can apply to the leather, and there are other options as well. But the sun will blow out color over time on many things, that's a given. What leather did you order it in?
    Duane Collie

Gatsby Guest

We ordered the Sadler in Kipling Java. What did you mean by "switch up the hides"?

Kipling is a aniline, so it will fade at a faster rate than a finished leather if direct sunlight plays on it.

"Switching up" means change the color. Don't get the other chairs in the same leather.
    Duane Collie