Thread: Mystery Sofa

RyanB407 Guest

Default Mystery Sofa

My uncle is an auctioneer and has a 4 year old sofa, chair, and fainting couch. I'm interested in the sofa and chair if the mystery furniture is of good quality. The problem is I have no idea what brand it is and when I asked my uncle, he wasn't sure either and hasn't found any marking to indicate who made it. The sofa looks to be in great shape on the pictures and didn't know if anyone on here would be able to ID. Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa1.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	4631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa2.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	4632

Ci2Eye Guest

Default Re: Mystery Sofa

I am no expert but I would think that If there isn't a name on it, it is unlikely it was made by a well known and respected furniture maker. All those ads in the Sunday paper that say "leather sodas starting at $499." are usually for a nameless sofa made of bonded leather and I believe the industry refers to this type of product as "promotional" meaning it is sold based on price and little else. Style-wise, products in that category all look alike so their origins are difficult to determine.

That may not be what you have but with no name or logo anywhere, that would be my guess.

The three vertical seams in each back cushion and the inordinate amount of puddling / loose leather on the seat box cushions are indicative of an inexpensive sofa.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

RyanB407 Guest

Great, thanks for the insight. I will be staying away from these as I've had my experience with poorly made furniture and don't need to deal with that again.