Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the Bradington-Young Reid sofa and loveseat?

tnkrer Guest

Default Re: Anyone have the Bradington-Young Reid sofa and loveseat?

I am also interested in this sofa and searching around on the interwebs found this place. (and I had already read posts by drcollie on gardenweb .. so felt that this is the right place to get information)

So is it possible to have a covering flap on the footrest? Sneak cat attacks aside, I have had a real problem of my laptop charging cable getting crimped and broken when I closed my current reclining seat which has a similar gap in the footrest.

Another question I had was .. I visited a local furniture store. They did not have Reid displayed on the floor. (They did have Richardson model, which I liked). The lady said that Reid would not have 8 way tied springs since it is a recliner. She showed me another recliner chair and said that inside it had sinuous springs. Since I have only seen web images of 8 way tied springs and none of the sinuous springs, I couldn't tell what it was. So is it true that Reid would not have 8 way tied springs?

josh_123 Guest

sorry to change the subject. is this where i need to be to start a thread ask questions etc.?

Riddle Guest

josh_123, "The Lobby" is a good place to start a new thread to introduce yourself or ask general questions. You depending on the question you can also post in the section that seems to fit best.

You cannot have a flap installed unless you wanted to do it yourself with Velcro, etc. It would get bound up in the mechanism.

No recliner, from any maker, will have 8-way hand-tied springs. The springs are part of the mechanism unit that lets the piece move. Tilt Back Chairs are the only motion pieces with 8-ways.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

tnkrer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You cannot have a flap installed unless you wanted to do it yourself with Velcro, etc. It would get bound up in the mechanism.

No recliner, from any maker, will have 8-way hand-tied springs. The springs are part of the mechanism unit that lets the piece move. Tilt Back Chairs are the only motion pieces with 8-ways.
    hmm, and the recliner mechanism is bound to break before the sofa .. may be moving an ottoman under the feet is the way to spread our legs rather than the reclining mechanism in the sofa. The Richardson was cheaper and had nice introductory price. Its looking better and better ...

Recliner mechanisms are relatively solid *if* they are not abused. Fastest way to break a mechanism is to horse around in a recliner when its extended (two kids wrestling in the chair, etc) and moving it into another room when extended. All the damage comes to them when they are in the open position. They are designed to support a persons legs and that's it. Anything else, like a child sitting on the open footrest, can break them.
    Duane Collie

Roxannescott Guest

I too cannot find the BY Reid reclining sofa to sit in. We want the power motion and are wondering if the control is hand held or in the sofa? Also how far from the wall does it have to be to recline? We were told 3 inches. Does $4000 seem like a fair price for grade II leather? We decided on that grade after looking at the different grades we felt like grade II did not show scratches (we have dogs) like the higher grades. Any comments about the Reid would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Roxannescott; 05-26-2013 at 11:44 AM.

The standard control is corded, with an ugly TV-style remote. Request a hidden actuator, its no extra charge and looks MUCH better. 2" away from the way is all that is needed on the 912 series. I sell the # 912-90 sofa in manual recline in GR 2 for $ 2,687 + Delivery fees (based on state and zip code). Add $ 350 for a pair of power recline units on the ends.
    Duane Collie

Roxannescott Guest

Where do they put the hidden actuator? Since it is hidden, I assume no one can see it and it does not
    interfere with the look of the sofa.
    Last edited by Roxannescott; 05-27-2013 at 11:05 AM.

The concealed control is hidden and between the arm and seat cushion.
    Duane Collie