Thread: Layout Ideas Needed for Basement Remodel (for forum newbie :-))

dreaross Guest

Default Layout Ideas Needed for Basement Remodel (for forum newbie :-))

First of all, this is such an awesome forum. Kudos to Duane for creating such a valuable, educational resource. My head is still spinning from all the information here, but I've learned so much already!

While I am eager to jump in and begin choosing styles and colors, I need to first figure out what pieces will work best in our new space and need guidance. So, I'm here seeking ideas and suggestions. (While I'm sold on HM, budget may dictate BY unless I can shop the T&C collection - but I'm getting ahead of myself again )

We're in the midst of a total basement remodel. Total space is nearly 1500 sq ft, but we've sectioned it off into four separate areas: storage, pantry/utility, exercise, and dry bar/tv lounge area (DH's 'man-cave'). The lounge area is what I'm focusing on now to get a sense of how to best furnish it. The area adjacent to the bar is roughly 12 x 17 (if I use the new "pillars" to define the depth and the first opening (which will be a window into the exercise room) to define the width, with a corner stone accent wall (where the TV will hang). On the back wall (stone side), there will be a book case built-in under the beam.

Walls are mustard seed; floors are Brazilian Cherry - definitely going for warmth down there! (Subject to change, but I really like a distressed, bomber jacket mid-brown leather for the sofa(s) and something different (saddle/tan? rust?) for the chairs... Large cocktail ottoman would be nice, too....)

I'm having trouble visualizing a layout with that corner TV area.... two sofas at an angle facing each other? Sofa at an angle facing the TV wall with accent chairs on either side? (A recliner or tilt-back with an ottoman is a must, according to DH). I wouldn't rule out a sectional, but we just added a steel beam in order to move the support pillars and open up the area, and fear a sectional might close things back up...

This will be a "kick back and relax with the dogs and a beer" kind of space....

Here are some photos of the work in progress and a rough layout for reference. Any suggestions/ideas are welcome... TIA!

(Hope this works - I'm so new at this! My apologies in advance if I mess up!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basement-view of tv and bar areas.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	4652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basement - view of TV area from bar area.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	4653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basement-TV area (another view).JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	4654
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basement - opposite TV area.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	4656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	basement - rough layout.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	4655  

Default Re: Layout Ideas Needed for Basement Remodel (for forum newbie :-))

That one is easy! A sofa/corner/sofa sectional for that space, that's going to be the ticket. Complete with a 42" square ottoman. The H&M Sundance or H&M LaCross would be perfect because the backs are tufted and fully finished, but budget may push you into a plain panel back piece.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.