Thread: New to Buying Furniture

mandygurl88 Guest

Default New to Buying Furniture

Hello,

I'm Amanda. I'm 25 and a current first year law student. My boyfriend and I have been living together for a while in a cute apartment and we're looking for an upgrade for our current handme down futon. Because we're so young our budget is super tight. I would like a sleeper because we often have our friends come and stay since we live close to WVU's football stadium and it's an apartment so space is also tight. We have $700-$900 saved up to pay towards a sofa, knowing that anymore we'll have to do financing, etc.

I've been looking online and looking around our area for like 2 weeks and am asking opinions of people on here because I just don't know and rather have some outside input. I've heard that Ashley furniture is not very high quality, but it's in our price range. There are 2 dealers that carry it

There is also a Klaussner sleeper sofa that I'm leaning towards, that is in a lovely green color that the color is being discontinued so, it's like half price and makes it very doable as well.

We could drive to Pittsburgh to look, but I want to help the local economy and well it's West Virginia so not much of a selection.

Are Klaussners decent in that it will last 10 years or until we have the money for a couch that will last.

Thanks so much!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1367173067600_CAM00006.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	4955
    Last edited by mandygurl88; 04-29-2013 at 01:58 PM.

mandygurl88 Guest

Default Re: New to Buying Furniture

Let me also say, I bought two Ashley leather bar stool/breakfast chairs with a nice breakfast nook wooden table at a discount/outlet furniture dealer here in town and have had it for 8 months and I've had no problems with the leather quality so far. That is why I'm asking about the quality because what I've been reading online have been horror stories. Klaussner also has had bad reviews, but also people saying they've had them for 15+ years and will buy when again when it's time to replace.

I'd skip the sleep sofa personally and get a stationary one. Basically with a sleeper you have nothing more than an upholstered frame around a bed mechanism. You have no spring support under the cushions and overall its not a very desirable piece of furniture. Better to buy a air mattress with an electric motor pump when company arrives. They sleep better on that and you have a better sofa. Ashley is quite possibly the poorest quality mass-market furniture you can buy today. I wouldn't.

Watch Craigslist in your area for a premium sofa buy. Sometimes they pop up and you can get a high quality sofa for your budget that isn't used too much....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mandygurl88 Guest

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately most of our Craiglist is filled with college kids selling their futons. But after calling around to a couple of antique and second hand shops, we've found a local consignment that is for charity with a church. They have some nice leather sofas, we're going to look Saturday. Also no sooner did I say that with our chairs, then a spring popped in one of them today. I guess the old adage is true, you truly get what you pay for.