Thread: Hancock and Moore yellowstone sofa

Skiphantom Guest

Default Hancock and Moore yellowstone sofa

Hi! I am new to this forum but have greatly enjoyed the wealth of info on here as my husband and I have been narrowing down our furniture selections. Wondering your opinion on the yellowstone sofa in Document Tobacco with r and s nail heads. Any pictures of the yellowstone sofa y chance? From reading on the forum, I know document is not a favorite leather of yours. We also looked at luggage khaki but it seemed to have more of a yellowish tone to it. We want to make sure that what ever we get is very nice quality and not lower grade. Is there another leather options you would recommend. We were looking at doing madrid or hazelnut with sheen similiar to madrid. Couches will be placed in room full of large windows and are going to be taking a beating from little kids. We have a almost 2 year old and baby on the way so we were looking for protected leather. Would you upgrade cushions to the standard with down wrap or just go standard.
    Last edited by Skiphantom; 04-29-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore yellowstone sofa

The # 5544 Yellowstone sofa is a good piece and will give you years of service duty while remaining comfortable if you clean the leather periodically, that's the whole key to it all. Any photos are posted here on the forum, I don't have anything on my computer that isn't put up here.

I will never recommend Document. It wouldn't break my heart if they dropped it from the line altogether. I think its over-processed, fake-looking and it has a painted finish that LOOKS painted! Since you're paying a GR 2 price on the West End, there are much better choices such as Piazza (which is slowly replacing Document anyways) or Kipling, Ryan, or Aspen. Even GR 1 Columbia is a better hide in my opinion.

Don't put too much faith into 'protected' leathers, that just means its painted. I have posts in detail here on the forum about that. More important with kids in the house is make sure there are no permanent markers in the house, and keep the ballpoint pens away from them, too. That's the # 1 damage to good leather sofas from children, especially the markers as they actually dye the leather and cannot be removed.

Stay with standard cores if on a budget, they're decent!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Skiphantom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The # 5544 Yellowstone sofa is a good piece and will give you years of service duty while remaining comfortable if you clean the leather periodically, that's the whole key to it all. Any photos are posted here on the forum, I don't have anything on my computer that isn't put up here.

I will never recommend Document. It wouldn't break my heart if they dropped it from the line altogether. I think its over-processed, fake-looking and it has a painted finish that LOOKS painted! Since you're paying a GR 2 price on the West End, there are much better choices such as Piazza (which is slowly replacing Document anyways) or Kipling, Ryan, or Aspen. Even GR 1 Columbia is a better hide in my opinion.

Don't put too much faith into 'protected' leathers, that just means its painted. I have posts in detail here on the forum about that. More important with kids in the house is make sure there are no permanent markers in the house, and keep the ballpoint pens away from them, too. That's the # 1 damage to good leather sofas from children, especially the markers as they actually dye the leather and cannot be removed.

Stay with standard cores if on a budget, they're decent!
    Have you ever sat on the yellowstone. It looks like the seat back keeps you upright and not lays back but I was just wondering. Also, not worried so much about budget as getting the best quality,comfortable, and long lasting product. I didn't know if you see more puddling of leather with the ultra down fill on top. With our document tobacco selection, it wasn't really a price selection it was more the color that seemed to go well in the house. We don't want anything that has too much red or yellow tones in it; but we also didn't want totally solid because our cabinetry is all dark stained and more solid in appearance and we were trying to avoid looking too matchy. The other thing our leather has to pass is the scratch test. Our one and one half year old loves to take her fingernails and run them down the leather.
    Last edited by Skiphantom; 04-30-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Yes, but its been so long since I have sat on one I can't say that I recall how it sits. Usually I can remember the really bad ones, they get parked in a special area of my memory that is the 'do not order for floor stock' section, but in truth about 90 % of all good upholstery sits well. 5% is horrid, and the other 5% is exceptionally good.

You will see more puddling of the leather with Ultra Down, because there are feathers in the cushion top layer and that won't hold and edge/form as well as the standard Qualux foam.

You can find dark browns in other leathers, for sure. When buying leather, don't just go by color. Look at textures, high/low shadows, finish on the leather, flexibility, softness, natural markings, even the aroma can vary from one leather to another, etc. I know that most people buy leather on color only, but there is so much more to it than that.
    Duane Collie

fdmason Guest

I had originally chosen Document Tobacco when I was choosing leathers before I did any real research. After getting some samples of similar colors, I went with Capri Tobacco. It's a Grade IV so it's pricier but it looks and feels amazing

Going from Document to Capri is like going from a McDonald's Big Mac to a Morton's NY Strip Steak.
    Duane Collie