Thread: Who Manufactures Quality Contemporary Furniture?

prismchild Guest

Question Who Manufactures Quality Contemporary Furniture?

Luckily I found this forum before making a new furniture purchase! My husband and I sold our Texas "McMansion" and purchased a high rise penthouse. The penthouse is contemporary and I want to furnish it in that style. Your forum has educated me to the fact that the furniture industry has vastly changed since I last purchased furniture in 2002. I've always bought quality furniture. As a matter of fact, I own a H&M full grain, anniline dyed leather sofa that I want to replace with a contemporary sectional. I would buy H&M again, however they are limited on contemporary styles. I don't want to purchase lesser quality than I now own. Can anyone suggest a quality manufacturer of contemporary leather furniture?

jarrodsmorton Guest

Default Re: Who Manufactures Quality Contemporary Furniture?

Swaim, Baker, Century, Marge Carson

Councill and even the new Hancock and Moore lines from Spring Market. Councill is perhaps the finest quality upholstery I've ever seen, and it carries the price tag to reflect that as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

needstuff Guest

In apartment-heavy Manhattan, near me, there's a store called "Design Within Reach" that focuses specifically on contemporary styled furniture. It seems to be doing a healthy business here,from what i can glean from following the Craigslist classifieds of people moving out. I see they have stores elsewhere as well. I guess "Within Reach" depends on who is doing the reaching, because IIRC some of it is pretty pricey. I don't know who makes all their stuff but some of the names I see listed are Herman Miller, Cassina and Knoll. I don't know if those makers' furniture are actually good quality, but they seemed to be priced that way and they looked like contemporary styling to me.
    Last edited by needstuff; 05-04-2013 at 02:12 PM.