Thread: Buying New Sectional, Trying to get an Idea on Pricing

furniturenoob Guest

Default Buying New Sectional, Trying to get an Idea on Pricing

Hello,

My wife and I have been struggling to buy a new sectional and chair for weeks, as we know nothing about furniture. This site has been a godsend, so thank you drcollie for setting it up, and to all the forum members for educating us. We feel much more comfortable in understanding where manufacturer's lay on the quality scale, and what to look for.

We are looking for a medium quality sectional and prefer to buy from a local private dealer, but we don't have that many of them, and the ones we do have don't have a lot of overlap in brands/models, so we are having a hard time determining what a 'decent' price is for what we are looking for, so I'm hoping some community members can help us out with a gut-check on some of the prices we've been given.

We are looking for a 3-piece sectional of two love seats and a corner to fill roughly a 110" x 110" area.

The first place we went to had these:

Sherrill 9600 series (96LL, 96RL, 96CC) ~$6,200.
    Grade 9-14 fabrics (Polyester/Cotton, Cotton/Viscose, Acrylic/Polyester, Rayon/Polyester)

Highland House 4900 Series (4914 LAF and 4915 RAF Love seat, 4909 Curved Wedge) ~ $6,000
    Grade 11-22 fabrics of the same blends as the Sherrill

Hickory White Sectional with the same configuration as above (forgot the model sheet) ~8,400 (on sale).

The sales person said they were all similar in quality, which patching together a variety of posts on manufacturer quality seems to confirm. However, when looking at the pieces it also seemed to me that the quality of the Highland House piece was not a good as the Sherrill or the Hickory White. The stitching didn't look at good, and the bottom was riddled with staples (half of which stuck out) which the Sherrill and Hickory White pieces didn't have.

I tried doing some digging for prices in the forum, and didn't find a ton. Would anyone who owns or sell those brands be willing to give me an idea if those are roughly reasonable prices or not? From what I did find in the forums my gut tells me these are more than slightly high, but I'd like some confirmation.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-furniturenoob
    Last edited by furniturenoob; 05-03-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Default Re: Buying New Sectional, Trying to get an Idea on Pricing

I don't have access to those price lists, but in this business if you can ask to see the MSRP book (the dealers have them) then 50% off is a pretty good price point to work with.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

furniturenoob Guest

Thank-you very much! That is extremely helpful.

jarrodsmorton Guest

I agree with Duane on the retail pricing. As for the lines, see if you can find a line called Huntington House. They are like the sectional capital of the world in quality home furnishings. They have their solutions programs that comps about every length and depth, and they have 2,000 fabrics to select from. It is manufactured in Hickory ( their factory is right beside Hancock and Moore). Pricing really depends on the size, grade of fabric, and configuration. It will probably price out between the Sherrill and Hickory White. I like them most because their service is premium.