Thread: contemporary motion sofa

badback88 Guest

Default contemporary motion sofa

I realize that may seem like an impossibility (and thus far, it has been impossible to find what we're looking for) but my husband and I are searching for a replacement sofa with motion - as I have a bad back - and we have a contemporary home and style. We have looked at EVERYTHING from value furniture stores to works of art and we are quite impressed by the quality of Hancock & Moore. We are open to other brands, but at this point, I think we want quality that will hold up over the years and something that will keep my back as relaxed as possible.

We are intrigued by the spring 2013 H&M pieces (love the chair on their site with the zebra accents) but is there anything so fun and inspiring in the way of a motion sofa? To make things even more tricky, our great room is open concept and our sofa sits in the middle of the room (no ugly-backed sofas for us, and battery pack would be a must for a power sofa - though we are open to manual as well). Finally, we have an amazing natural redwood coffee table that we are unwilling to part with, so ottoman is out (we can open the recliner, just not have a permanent footstool in place in the middle of the walkway). Oh, and did I mention that my husband is 6'6"? So yeah, a decently high back would be good.

Does the sofa of our dreams exist, or are we on a snipe hunt?

Thanks!
    BadBack88

Default Re: contemporary motion sofa

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a contemporary motion sofa that fits a 6' 6" man, I've not seen one. The problem is to get one tall and big enough to fit him lends itself to large scale pieces, and the nature of contemporary design really doesn't go well in that scale. Most are compact to mid-size.

This Leathercraft unit sits well, but may not be large enough:
    http://leathercraft-furniture.com/in...eclining_sofa/

H&M has this, same issue - may not be tall enough for him:
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1875
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

badback88 Guest

We actually have that H&M campaign sofa on our list, but from our forum searches it appears as though no one has that item in stock - thus we cannot actually do the "sit test". We do have a local dealer that sells H&M but they only stock the more traditional pieces - is there an H&M non motion sofa that would be similar in dimensions that we could try? I know my husband sat in and liked the Arrington model. He doesn't expect a perfect fit with his height - just something relatively comfortable.

Any feeling on the quality difference between the H&M and Leathercraft options you sent?

Thanks!

The Leathercraft model has THREE recliners in the piece, the H&M one has only the outboard stations that are motion. You can't get a feel for any motion piece by sitting in a stationary and the whole internal spring & suspension structure changes between the two. Leathercraft is the equal of H&M in terms of quality of product.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

badback88 Guest

Thanks for the clarification. I tried reaching out to the Leathercraft rep in our area (listed on the Leathercraft website) and have had the same experience as so many others on this forum - no response.

We visited a contemporary furniture store in our area and they recommended an American Leather motion sofa - do you have any experience with that brand? Would it be similar to Leathercraft or H&M quality? We really like the lines of some of their pieces.

Thanks,
    BadBack88