Thread: plan to buy H&M tufted style sofa

lionhertyoung Guest

Default plan to buy H&M tufted style sofa

Hi Duane,

I saw your forum and store were highly recommended in a forum I often visit. As a newbie, I really learned a lot from all you posts and comments. Please keep up the good work!
    We just bought a house, and plan to buy some nice-looking and comfortable furniture to fill the space. Originally I plan to buy some contemporary sofas like Natuzi, after I saw some H&M sofas here in a local store (Louis Shanks in Houston), I am really into the tufted sofas. I found the simple, concise contemporary style just doesn't fit the ample space in a texas-sized house. In my humble opinion, the rich curves and textures of a Chesterfield just make the large room warmer and more liveable. So we are very likely to buy some tufted sofas made by quality manufacturers like H&M.
    Since we just started shopping for leather sofas, there are a lot of questions to ask. Here I attached several photos of the living room we plan to furnish, The two chairs and one sofa were the original owner's. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livingroom.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	4977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hr3148035-20.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	4978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hr3148035-15.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	4979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hr3148035-16.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	4980

(1) Given the yellow color of the wall, and the reddish, brownish color of the floor tiles, what color do you recommend for the sofa?
    (2) For two single chairs, which is a better idea: to pick the same color as the sofa? Or to carefully chose other colors to make the room more casual and lively?
    (3) For tufted sofa (like Chesterfield), what kind of single chairs can make a good match? also tufted style?
    (4) I am about 6 ft, my wife is 5'7'', which sofa by H&M make us most comfortable? (I know it sounds like a stupid question) We don't like very soft cushions.
    (5) We have two young kids, one is 7 and the other is close to 3. Which sofa fits the kids' needs or possible damage best? :-)
    (6) Can you send me some leather samples so I can pick the color?

Thank You!

Yang

Default Re: plan to buy H&M tufted style sofa

That's a crazy layout the prior owner had in there, you can see he configured the entire room for watching the TV. In order to set the room up properly (and although this is a beautiful home the architects never get that TV spot right in relation to furniture) you will have to decide where your TV is going to be, for that will determine the furniture to be used in the room.

* Yellow is an earth tone, so any earth tone color will work well in there - browns, greens, reds, golds.

* You can mix and match the chairs to the sofa, or buy all in one series. There is no right or wrong, its what works for you.

* The H&M Tavern Chairs are one I often use with the Chesterfield series sofas.

* Comfort is subjective. If I were buying a fully tufted Chesterfield for myself, it would be the Teton.

* Kid destruction is directly correlated to parental rules set in the house. Not the style of sofa you buy.... but you knew that.

* Yes, samples are easy! Just PM a list up do a dozen with your address to me.

Thanks!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

lionhertyoung Guest

Post Re: plan to buy H&M tufted style sofa

Hi Duane,
    Thanks for your quick and detailed answer.
    That TV place is kind of awkward. I remember that you said TV on the fire place is a bad idea. The current TV location of the previoius owner seems to be the optimal place they can think of so far. I also don't have a better idea. Do you?
    Regarding color, is blue a good choice for the current wall and floor?
    I see the width of a teton is about 95.5''. What is the real seating width of Teton?
    What is the least width for 3 adults sitting on a sofa?
    How does the order of sample work? Shall I send you a list of color names (from H&M's website), then you will send the samples to me?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That's a crazy layout the prior owner had in there, you can see he configured the entire room for watching the TV. In order to set the room up properly (and although this is a beautiful home the architects never get that TV spot right in relation to furniture) you will have to decide where your TV is going to be, for that will determine the furniture to be used in the room.

* Yellow is an earth tone, so any earth tone color will work well in there - browns, greens, reds, golds.

* You can mix and match the chairs to the sofa, or buy all in one series. There is no right or wrong, its what works for you.

* The H&M Tavern Chairs are one I often use with the Chesterfield series sofas.

* Comfort is subjective. If I were buying a fully tufted Chesterfield for myself, it would be the Teton.

* Kid destruction is directly correlated to parental rules set in the house. Not the style of sofa you buy.... but you knew that.

* Yes, samples are easy! Just PM a list up do a dozen with your address to me.

Thanks!

I think the TV will continue to work there, but I'd definitely do a sectional in that room with that layout, no question about it. Probably a Sundance or a LaCross by H&M. That TV location and layout of the room is made for a sectional. Then a ottoman to go out in front of it and a single chair to go in the corner to the left of the fireplace.

Blue is not an earthtone per say. It will cool the room. I'd use blue if the wall were a grey, but not with yellow.

Teton Seating specs are on the H&M web site.

24" per adult seat space, minimum.

Samples - just list them (up to 12) in a PM, include your mailing address. That's it!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

lionhertyoung Guest

We are not very into sectionals yet. We feel that sectionals is a bit hefty, and also the seat at the corner is seldom used.
    I sent you PM with the 12 colors last night. Can you send me a price quote on the Teton sofa through PM?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I think the TV will continue to work there, but I'd definitely do a sectional in that room with that layout, no question about it. Probably a Sundance or a LaCross by H&M. That TV location and layout of the room is made for a sectional. Then a ottoman to go out in front of it and a single chair to go in the corner to the left of the fireplace.

Blue is not an earthtone per say. It will cool the room. I'd use blue if the wall were a grey, but not with yellow.

Teton Seating specs are on the H&M web site.

24" per adult seat space, minimum.

Samples - just list them (up to 12) in a PM, include your mailing address. That's it!

needstuff Guest

If I may butt in:
    We are going through similar trials while re-doing our living room, so I empathize.

To me it looks like the current location of your TV is better than many. In my case, a decorator we had wanted to put the TV above our fireplace. But I read many posts on-line of people who said they regretted putting their TV above the fireplace. And a friend of ours with good taste told us she decided to put her TV off to the side because she did not want the focal point of the entire room to be a television set. This made good sense to me, and now we have a painting hanging above the fireplace that looks just great there.

In my case, our living room is large enough that we've decided to divide it into three separate areas: a reading area with two chairs and a table on one side, a TV watching area on the other side, and in the center a company/ conversation area with seating centered on the fireplace. We are still deciding whether to configure the center area as a facing couch + 2 largish side chairs to the sides, or two love seats arranged perpendicular and on either side of the fireplace. One differentiating factor is we can't put a cutout to the side of the fireplace like you have it, because we have built-in bookcases there.

The drawback with our chosen approach is, depending on exactly where we put the TV, not everyone in the room will easily see it. In fact we are getting an H&M swivel chair precisely to serve a dual function in both the TV and conversation areas.
    But that's ok for us, because the Living room TV is purely for overflow/ conflict reolution, and never has more than three viewers. Usually just one. Our main TV watching takes place in a separate den/ family room. Your situation may well be different.

I don't know if these are actually issues, but from the picture it seems like your TV is somewhat low to the ground for optimal viewing, and also too small vs. the distance of the chairs from it, currently. It seems like the built-in was done that way more for cosmetics, preserving the lines vs. the fireplace, than for optimizing the TV watching experience. But of course I can't really tell if that's true for certain.

If it were mine and I wanted to redo things, I might recongfigure the wall cutout so the TV was higher, and the Fireplace mantle ended at the fireplace. Or if i wanted to adopt the approach we are going to use here, I would put the TV on a stand in one of the corners. Then something would have to be done with the cutout though. And not everyone will see the TV.

In our case, the furniture is not placed against the back wall. That's where that decorator wanted to put it when the TV was going above the fireplace, but we're not doing that. We moved the sofa that's there now closer to the fireplace, and the room looks fine that way. Better actually. In your case, that would put the seating closer to the TV, which seems like it might make for better viewing.

I have no idea what you should do, so much depends on your needs and personal preferences. But maybe this is food for thought anyway.

As for the furniture, FWIW in our last house we had a modified Chesterfiled-type sofa with tufted back, and the decorator picked two chairs to go with it that were not tufted at all. They did have similar (but not identical) scroll-type arms though, and their fabric color picked up a secondary color that was in the couch. But they weren't tufted. I think everything looked fine together. None of these pieces were leather though, if that matters.

I don't think the color of the furniture you inherited looks bad in the room, at all. Though something about the back-of-the-room configuration seems suboptimal.
    Last edited by needstuff; 05-10-2013 at 04:51 PM.

lionhertyoung Guest

Thank you for sharing your invaluable thought.

I agree with your friend. I don't want TV to be the focal point of the whole family. Especially when we have two young kids. Painting is a great idea. The previous owner put a large clock on top of the fireplace. But it is still a big blank space on top of the clock. We saw a replica of a Chinese ancient wall painting whose theme is Buddhism one day at a local furniture store. But the price is ridiculously $1200. It is not a oil painting. It is just a piece of cloth with a high resolution picture printed on it!

Would you mind to share some pictures of your living room? It is a good idea to separate the living room in some functional regions. But how to make it both pretty and practical is a very challenging work! I like large open spaces in the living room, to separate the space effectively and naturally is hard to do unless you live there for a while. Now we just plan to buy a set of sofa and chairs to fill in the new home.

Quote Originally Posted by needstuff View Post
    If I may butt in:
    We are going through similar trials while re-doing our living room, so I empathize.

To me it looks like the current location of your TV is better than many. In my case, a decorator we had wanted to put the TV above our fireplace. But I read many posts on-line of people who said they regretted putting their TV above the fireplace. And a friend of ours with good taste told us she decided to put her TV off to the side because she did not want the focal point of the entire room to be a television set. This made good sense to me, and now we have a painting hanging above the fireplace that looks just great there.

In my case, our living room is large enough that we've decided to divide it into three separate areas: a reading area with two chairs and a table on one side, a TV watching area on the other side, and in the center a company/ conversation area with seating centered on the fireplace. We are still deciding whether to configure the center area as a facing couch + 2 largish side chairs to the sides, or two love seats arranged perpendicular and on either side of the fireplace. One differentiating factor is we can't put a cutout to the side of the fireplace like you have it, because we have built-in bookcases there.

The drawback with our chosen approach is, depending on exactly where we put the TV, not everyone in the room will easily see it. In fact we are getting an H&M swivel chair precisely to serve a dual function in both the TV and conversation areas.
    But that's ok for us, because the Living room TV is purely for overflow/ conflict reolution, and never has more than three viewers. Usually just one. Our main TV watching takes place in a separate den/ family room. Your situation may well be different.

I don't know if these are actually issues, but from the picture it seems like your TV is somewhat low to the ground for optimal viewing, and also too small vs. the distance of the chairs from it, currently. It seems like the built-in was done that way more for cosmetics, preserving the lines vs. the fireplace, than for optimizing the TV watching experience. But of course I can't really tell if that's true for certain.

If it were mine and I wanted to redo things, I might recongfigure the wall cutout so the TV was higher, and the Fireplace mantle ended at the fireplace. Or if i wanted to adopt the approach we are going to use here, I would put the TV on a stand in one of the corners. Then something would have to be done with the cutout though. And not everyone will see the TV.

In our case, the furniture is not placed against the back wall. That's where that decorator wanted to put it when the TV was going above the fireplace, but we're not doing that. We moved the sofa that's there now closer to the fireplace, and the room looks fine that way. Better actually. In your case, that would put the seating closer to the TV, which seems like it might make for better viewing.

I have no idea what you should do, so much depends on your needs and personal preferences. But maybe this is food for thought anyway.

As for the furniture, FWIW in our last house we had a modified Chesterfiled-type sofa with tufted back, and the decorator picked two chairs to go with it that were not tufted at all. They did have similar (but not identical) scroll-type arms though, and their fabric color picked up a secondary color that was in the couch. But they weren't tufted. I think everything looked fine together. None of these pieces were leather though, if that matters.

I don't think the color of the furniture you inherited looks bad in the room, at all. Though something about the back-of-the-room configuration seems suboptimal.

needstuff Guest

"Would you mind to share some pictures of your living room?"

Not publicly, till the room is done. It's in a transitional state right now, and there's actually construction in it now. Moreover, then everyone would see the hideous fabric we unwisely chose for our couch in the last house, which looks even worse in this one with the new rug we bought. The couch will be reupholstered or replaced before I'd post a picture publicly.

I'll see if there's something I can send privately.
    Last edited by needstuff; 05-11-2013 at 02:31 AM.