Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Three Years & Counting on the Cancer Front

I firmly believe that willpower can be a major contributor to medical recovery. My mom was in the hospital with a very extreme case of blood flow blockage to the intestines. At one point she was extremely critical and two different doctors gave her no more than 24 hours to live. She recovered and lived for 14 months.
    It was only after she finally stopped fighting that she failed. She told me she was tired and then passed on within a week.
    So, I tell anyone who is in a dire medical condition to fight with all their will and energy.. Don't depend only on the drugs and doctors, but bring your own will to survive to the battle.

That's a tough nut to crack, Judy. Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma is some serious stuff. You know, I did exactly the same thing, sat out in my pickup truck with a copy of my CT scan after having one done at the image center and said to myself "I think you've got a SERIOUS problem" as I looked at the black spots on my liver in the film.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

life_in_sepia Guest

i know nothing about cancer. but i appreciate your telling your experience here. adds much needed context to life. ed

Smile 13 years and counting

Congratulations Duane it was this time of year in 1996 that my doctor called me on the phone at work and said without any hesitation you have breast cancer talk about a blow what a bed side manner, mind you I had a good idea that is what I had from the mass I had found but I had not even discussed this with him went to have mammogram because I had found it and had the results sent to him. Well long story short I sought out another doctor and am still ticking. Chemo sucks, surgery isn't fun and radiation is a pain but I guess the end result is I now have 2 beautiful grand daughters that I get to spend time with that I might not have otherwise had I taken other routes my mom always tells me everything happens for a reason guess I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. On a not to happy note my daughter was just diagnosed with Lupus she has been sick since November so at least now we know what she has and a plan of attack I keep tellling if I could beat infiltrating ductal carcinoma that had spread to my lymp nodes she can beat this too it just takes time. Anyway just happened upon this thread it is amazing how many people cancer has touched out there. Thanks Duane for all of your help.

I always love that phone call, don't you? I guess there is no good way for a medical professional to tell you. In my case, it was his assistant that called and asked if I could come in right away and bring my wife. Well, after going through a battery of cancer tests I knew what that meant.

You made it, as did I (two more years until I'm considered 'in the clear', however). It's gut-wrenching and all-consuming 24/7 not only for you as the person with cancer, but for those that work and live with you as well. Congrats on being a survivor/warrior!

My wife has Lupus, and has had it for several years. Lupus can come on strong as a killer, or be relatively mild. It tires my wife more than anything, with occasional outbreaks of the 'lupus mask' as its called. She's had it about 17 years now - and guts through it, every day. Hopefully your daughter has a mild case.....

And you are most certainly right. With chronic and serious diseases, attitude is a large part of the battle.
    Duane Collie

Default Update

Blood results back today, still clear!

I get the lab reports via email and know how to read them, so its with a bit of trepidation when they arrive in my mailbox. I never open them right away, as I have to steel my nerves for an hour or so in case the values indicate my cancer is back.

18 more months to go, and then after that - no more testing needed.

Dr. Michael Choti at Johns Hopkins, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center saved my life as I was Stage IV and declared terminal. Every time I pass a blood test I make a small donation to his research lab, just to help fund the cause and let him know I am grateful for what he did, and that (the other doctors said) could not be done.
    Duane Collie

dr56 Guest

Default Yeah, Duane!

Well that's the best news I've heard in awhile. I am so happy for you! Keep the faith and the fight!!!!

artielange Guest

Awesome news, Duane. Good for you! Time for a glass of [your favorite wine or beverage] to celebrate and reflect! I had a PET scan today so I'll know Wednesday if everything is still gone for me too. Although it's been almost 8 years since I was diagnosed with NHL I still feel hugely uncertain and totally understand your need to prepare for those results. It never gets any easier. But we're still here!!!

Its a heck of a thing, isn't it? Waiting for routine tests to come back -because WE know that its either thumbs up or thumbs down and no shades of gray. That's why you take that deep breath and don't open that email with the results casually. Your whole world is going to change yet again if the results aren't good.

Yesterday on another forum there as a discussion I came late into...the topic was "If you have a terminal disease would you want to know?" The people responding expressed opinions that were based on TV shows more than anything, such as a recent episode of "HOUSE". I read through all the comments which were speculative and they were about 50.50 mixed. Some in favor of, others not.

I think I killed the thread with my post, which in a nutshell said 'Hey folks, been there - done that and you DO want to know so you can get busy and find out if there is a doctor out there that can save you. If you don't know, you're automatically dead. One Doctor's 'Terminal' is another doc's "I can help you'."

I know your PET scan will come back squeaky clean, because it has to. We have to get you into that Aston Martin still......
    Duane Collie

artielange Guest

Default Thanks for the good wishes!

OK, if you're buying I'll take a Vanquish in any color as long as the leather isn't black. Clear scans and I'm ready to hit the road!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aston-martin-vanquish-002.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	361