Thread: Sofa Brand comparison

Richard Guest

Default Sofa Brand comparison

I own the bradington young Melbourne sofa in brighton chocolate leather. I am currently looking for a new sofa, possibly upholstery, or maybe leather. I Recently bought the York sofa from room and board but I returned it promptly as I was not satisfied with the construction. It was very comfortable but I could hear the wood frame creak and pop as I moved around and sat down, etc. I only weigh 145 lbs. I also thought the cushions were not superior quality. I am looking for a replacement. I am currently looking at bradington young, Hancock and Moore, stickley, baker and Taylor king. I believe most of those brands utilize the 8 way hand tied springs. Are the frames all high quality? I would like some information comparing some of these brands, ranking them. What are some of the biggest quality differences of these high quality sofa brands? I want something with a very solid frame that will never creak and pop. Thank you.

Default Re: Sofa Brand comparison

Bradington Young = Plywood Frame
    Hancock & Moore = Solid Maple Frame
    Taylor King = Solid Maple Frame
    Baker = Solid Maple Frame
    Stickley = Solid Maple Frame

You've selected good makers in that group, none will give you issues on frame movement. All are 8-way hand tied, B-Y is a 'B' tier piece, the others are 'A' tier. Hancock & Moore is the gold standard for leather pieces, however - even Stickey and Baker sell H&M in their stores - in fact Baker is H&M's largest customer! When a maker sells a competitor's product in their own showroom stores, that's about as good a rep as you'll get.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Richard Guest

Default Re: Sofa Brand comparison

I think H&M is out of my price range. What about the frames for Leathercraft and CR Laine? Are they A or B? Maple or plywood? I probably need to accept a B grade couch. That puts Room and Board at a C or D grade right? Thanks.