Thread: recliner or stationary

lionhertyoung Guest

Default recliner or stationary

Hi all,

I want to hear inputs from different perspectives.
    I need two single chairs, but not sure to buy recliner or stationary. I know recliner is comfortable. But mechanically, isn't stationary chair more firmly built (because there are less movable pieces? what about the difference in seating? Is recliner also 8 way tied springs? I am a little more suspicious of the durability of a recliner than a stationary.

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Default Re: recliner or stationary

A stationary chair will always be stronger than a motion piece, because (if properly built) its all solid hardwood with study joints, and then a spring suspension. A recliner is a mechanism around which a frame is made, but think of it as wood bolted to a piece of metal on three sides. It does not have the square box construction of a stationary piece. No recliner can ever have 8-way springs in it as that is physically impossible to do. The springs would be where the mechanism is. Now, if you want to split the difference, get a Tilt Back chair (such as the Hancock and Moore Austin Tilt Back # 2038NB). You have the solid base frame of a stationary chair with 8 way springs, and only the back is in motion via a gas strut. The only replacement part might be the gas strut over time, and they are $ 80. They do require a larger cash outlay, however, because you have to purchase the ottoman to go with them or they don't perform very comfortably.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.