Thread: Should I expect to get a good sofa and recliner for $4000?

Elezar Guest

Default Should I expect to get a good sofa and recliner for $4000?

Like so many others, I just now registered to ask a question, but I have learned so much from this forum by reading the stickies and Duane's responses to other questions. I'm absolutely amazed that you are willing to spend what must be a considerable amount of time to share your knowledge for free! Thank you so much for this. It has been incredibly helpful to me already in my search.

So, on to my question. I'm looking to get a sofa and recliner (hopefully a swivel one, but that would be a bonus, not required), and my budget is about $4000. Should I expect to be able to get good quality out of that? And if so, would I probably be limited to grade 1 leather, or would 2 or even 3 be possibilities? Would any of the Town & Country pieces be possible there? Also, for the sofa at least, I'm wanting dark red leather. I only see a couple sofas in red on the T&C list. Duane, I know you said that it's possible to get other colors on T&C pieces for about 15% extra. If I have to do that, would they still be in my budget range (I'm guessing not, but would rather know for sure). If this is getting too close to providing a quote, I understand and will send a PM, but I'm hoping to get an idea of whether it's even possible, before picking out a style and color.

If H&M is totally out of the question in this range, what about a step down, like BY?

I actually thought that I was going to have to settle for more of a mid-range quality, and actually was looking at some stuff in the BY Envisions line today. The ones I was looking at were coming in at around the $1800 range (For example, this sofa was $1784 with 9901-68-ap leather), which I thought was pretty good. Then I came across an old post of yours where you quoted someone about the same price for a sofa from BY's main line. That was awhile ago though, so maybe things have changed since then. Basically, I just want to set my expectations based on what I can afford, so I'm not settling for less than I need to.

Default Re: Should I expect to get a good sofa and recliner for $4000?

Glad you are enjoying the forum! It's all about learning what makes a good piece....a good piece.

You can get an H&M sofa and recliner for $ 4K, but you will be limited in styles and leathers. If you can go to $ 5k then you have more to choose from.

I'm not a fan of BY Envisions series, they use a lot of shortcuts such as drop-in spring grids and leather splits for the back and sides. Most of all, I don't like the Marketing of it. They wave the "Made in USA" flag advertising with this line inferring high quality, but its no better than much of the junk coming out of China. I believe that is trying to take advantage of the reputation of quality for U.S. goods and they don't have it in the product.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.