Thread: Design My Mattress

ChiSue Guest

Default Design My Mattress

A poster on the 'Furniture' forum of GardenWeb directed me here. I've posted my question and background there, if you wouldn't mind reading it. (It's rather long to repeat here.) Thank you, Sue in Chicagoland

Hi Sue, and welcome! Some of us (like me) are no longer on Garden Web, so if you want to cut and paste any bio and place it here on this forum, that would be most helpful.

I moved your post to the LOBBY since its an 'introduction' post and out of the bedding category.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

I read your post and will give some quick thoughts.

HOT - the major brands are all putting latex or visco (or both) into the upper layers of their better mattresses. You can't get away from it. In four years there will be different fillers (but not necessarily better), and you need a mattress now. My advice (and I sleep on a Tempur-Pedic) is if you're hot, run the air conditioner a little cooler. Anyways warmth is good for your circulation.

AGE of your mattress - everyone thinks a mattress should last 20 years. This is because most makers would offer 20 year warranties on their better beds. But, the warranty does not cover wear and tear, and deterioration due to use. It only covers "mechanical" failures - A spring popping out for example, or caving in, which is what might have happened to you. Few makers have 20 years warranties now.

Sagging is not a necessarily a defect, its what happens when your full body weight is applied to springs and fillers for 8 hours every day of the week.

The expected life of a mattress is 8-12 years. That means in years 5, 6, and 7 its already past its prime. So you were due for a replacement anyways.

I can't tell you much about Verlo. The stores say "factory to you" but in fact I think they're franchised, which makes it no different than buying from any other store. I've never heard a complaint about them but I've never heard someone rave about them either so I can't opine one way or the other.

I think your sagging is aggravated by having two twins next to each other. Better mattresses usually have reinforced sides, so you can sit on the edge without having it collapse. But that also means you weight is not spread out as much among the springs.

Most mattresses today are no flip. If you got a single king mattress you wouldn't have to flip it, maybe have some kid in the neighborhood come over and rotate it once in a while (the foundations will still two piece.) If you really prefer the idea of a split king, I'd consider a Tempurpedic because the mattress is the same at the end as in the center. Just set the thermostat a little lower