Thread: Please put my mind at ease

Conflicted Guest

Question Please put my mind at ease

I was in a local furniture show room and the sales person (a professional designer with decades of experience) showed me several pieces that I liked. However, she told me a couple of things about the construction of the furniture that didn’t seem right to me. This bothered me not so much because of the construction issues as because it made me uncomfortable with the sales person. The 2 things she said were:
    a) The Alberta Saddle leather on the floor model of the H &M recliner is “aniline dyed”
    b) The deck on the L**ington Home Brands Bennett Sofa is “8 way hand tied” and the frame is 100% kiln dried hardwood
    There are three possibilities:
    a) This is true (I hope so)
    b) She is misinformed (a little concerning)
    c) She is misleading me (downright disturbing)
    Can anyone here help me with the accuracy of her claims?

Cheers!

Default Re: Please put my mind at ease

"Alberta" is a promotional leather that originates from a Chinese tannery and is definitely a Finished - or Painted, leather. It is not even shown on the regular leather handles in the store and is a pre-cut, Married Cover program leather for certain frames. You cannot get it on mainstream pieces outside of the Town and Country promotional program.

I can't advise you on the construction of the private label sofa they sell because its .... private label! Only they are going to know how its built unless its taken apart or at least the dust cover removed from the bottom of the piece. It could very well be built to those standards - or not. You have to be able to get inside the piece from the bottom to see how its made.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.