Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning hand knotted rugs

Default Re: Cleaning hand knotted rugs

I wondered about that, I thought you just had some really big mulch landscaping.

I always send my rugs out to a professional company. They do it pretty much the same way except first they use this big beater machine to take all the dust out and then they wash it. They put it in a spinning tube like machine to extract out much of the water.
    I have a huge 10 x 14 Ziegler that is worth a lot of money and I would be too afraid to do it myself.

I'm not a fan of beater machines, they can cause wear to the fibers. What you have to be careful of is to insist that your rug be washed separately. Many "Professionals" put all the rugs they have into a giant washer, and the dyes bleed onto one another, because invariably a cheap rug or two is mixed in with the fine ones. Then your rug forever loses its bright colors.

You can NEVER hurt your rug washing it yourself. Liquid Tide or Woolite, a gentle scrub brush, and place on pallets so it can dry. Pick Spring and Fall days when its warm but not humid. Use lots and lots of water, it will take 24 to 36 hours to dry.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaL View Post
    I always send my rugs out to a professional company. They do it pretty much the same way except first they use this big beater machine to take all the dust out and then they wash it. They put it in a spinning tube like machine to extract out much of the water.
    I have a huge 10 x 14 Ziegler that is worth a lot of money and I would be too afraid to do it myself.
    Hey, which company do you prefer? It's the first time I will send my hand-knotted rugs to cleaning. They're pretty old, I don't want them to be destroyed by unprofessional hands.