Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Porch Swing

Default Cedar Porch Swing

If you want a nice, high quality cedar porch swing I'm going to recommend these guys in Texas.

http://www.porchswingsintexas.com/Porch_swings.htm

I took a chance and mail ordered one from them as they were half the price of the ones in town. Quality of the product is excellent, but you do have to assemble it and for some reason they don't include directions, so you have to figure it out from the photos. Still, I was very pleased with the price and build of their Classic Series. No affiliation, I just like their product and am passing it on. Here's mine on the back deck, replacing a cheap unit from Home Depot that fell apart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo3.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	5159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	5158
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fieldstone Guest

Default Re: Cedar Porch Swing

That looks great! I am curious to know what is it hanged to. Is there a beam on top of the deck?

Yes! I have a beam that comes off the vertical deck support above with a shade area above the swing. You can see it n the photos, but its basically a 2" x 8" that stands on it side and the swing screws go into that.
    Duane Collie

Fieldstone Guest

Nice setup! Any recommendations for the deck stain? We planned to sand down the deck and thinking about applying clear coat.

I'm getting ready to do my deck, its 13 years old and will be using Olympic Deck Cleaner and then another application of Deck Brightener afterwards. The Brightener neutralizes the PH level of the Cleaner and gives a good prep surface to a paint grade stain. I do not like doing my deck, so I'm going for the expensive premium stains that last. Probably will get the Beyr bases on this article and talking to a few pro deck guys, they like it, too.

Consumer Reports is running long-term tests on more than 30 deck stains to see how well they hold up. The stained panels stay out on Consumer Reports' rooftop for years, in all kinds of weather.

Some are solid stains that look the most like paint. Others are semi-transparent. And a third type, clear sealers, shows the most wood grain. They need the most maintenance; even the best need to be reapplied every year.

Other panels are left out in the shade to see how well they resist dirt and mildew. Again the clear sealers did the worst. Semi-transparent stains do better. They generally need to be redone every two years. Solid stains last the longest. Most last at least three years.

One by Behr was by far the longest-lasting. It's the Solid Color Deck, Fence & Siding Wood Stain from Home Depot. Even after three years of testing, it still looks pretty good.

If you prefer a semi-transparent stain, Consumer Reports recommends another one from Home Depot - Behr Premium Semi-Transparent Weatherproofing Wood Stain.
    Duane Collie

Fieldstone Guest

Your deck looks pretty good for a 13 year old one. Appreciate all the info. At present our deck has semi-transperent red cedar color sherwin williams stain. It looks pretty bad after less then two years. We don't want to do it every year either. So that makes clear stain out of the consideration. So its either between semi or solid stains. I don't like the existing red cedar color stain a bit. It looks too red. Hope to find some thing that goes with the oak flooring inside.

I have Smart Deck (a composite) on the rail and deck boards. I was an early adopter!
    Duane Collie

erinn Guest

I recommend you look into Sikkens products for outdoor wood finishing projects. I did a lot asking around and online research 5 years ago and came to the conclusion that Sikkens was the standard for professional outdoor wood finishing. I've haven't used their Deck solid product but I've used a couple of the semi transparent products on various woods outside and all have held up beautifully. My furniture has had it the longest at 5 years and stills looks barely worn. The furniture gets a good amount of sun and rain too. Word of caution in wood finishing, the quality of the job will be in the prep work and follow the weather condition application guide diligently.

I haven't used Behr's product but I believe it is Latex based. I'm skeptical a Latex based product could outlast a oil.

pvcpvc Guest

I have to second the Sikkens recommendation. I used the Cetol SRD transparent product on my cedar deck and had wonderful results.

Fieldstone Guest

Thanks for that info Erinn! We will look in to Sikkens. pvcpvc.... How many years since you have applied Cetol transparent to your deck? Will it be good for at least two years? We really want to do the transparent stain. We got a quote from a professional to do one big and one small deck and its $3500. They are going to power wash and apply the stain. But we feel like sanding works better, but it's going to be lot of work.